Mother says she was given wrong remains - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Mother says she was given wrong remains


HENRYVILLE, Ind. (WDRB Fox 41) -- The list of people with complaints against a Kentuckiana funeral home owner is growing.  One mother says she has proof she was given the wrong remains.

After news about the funeral home broke, Cantrell Osborne contacted Indiana State Police and that's when she was given the devastating news about her daughter's remains.  She tells Fox 41's Stephan Johnson, ""When I said my name, he said, 'Well, Ms. Osborne, I'm sorry to tell you, but we did find your daughter.'"

Until recently, Osborne was led to believe a handful of ashes was the cremated remains of her stillborn daughter, whom she gave birth to in April:  "I had an eerie feeling about it from the beginning.  But I took her ashes, I paid him my money...we were in there for less than like three minutes."

Last week, police arrested the owners of Pyke Funeral Home in Henryville.  Richard Pyke and his son Bradley were both arrested last week and charged with theft and insurance fraud -- and there could be more.

Sgt. Jerry Goodin with Indiana State Police says, "We've actually been inundated with phone calls and what we've been telling people is just have a little patience.  We're still trying to investigate, this is still a full-blown investigation.  We're right in the middle of this thing."

Despite all of the calls, detectives plan to get back to all of the people who have called with questions or concerns about loved ones who were cremated by the Pykes.  Sgt. Goodin says, "When we find out that there is some type of discrepancy with some type of death situation that they have, as soon as we find that out we'll be contacting you letting you know what we have found out."

Osborne says, "To get the news that it was you know that they did find my daughter was emotional, but at the same time a relief."

Since the arrest, Cantrell Osborne has learned the Pykes didn't even have a license for a crematory.  Her daughter's remains have been returned to University of Louisville Hospital, but she now wants to know what she was given instead: "They're going to do what they can to tell me what it is I hope, but I knew it wasn't my daughter."

This was Osborne's second stillborn child, and that's why she questioned the size of the remains.

Meanwhile, once Indiana state police are done with the investigation they'll turn it over to the Clark County prosecutor, and that's when the additional charges could be filed.

While his son was released last week, Richard Pyke remains locked up at the Clark County Jail.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.