By: Travis K. Kircher

Witness: Sgt. Andy Abbott
Louisville Metro Police – Sexual assault unit

The last witness of the day on Monday was Sgt. Andy Abbott of the Louisville Metro Police Department. He was used to verify the authenticity of a video interview that took place in July 2009 at the LMPD headquarters.

He said he conducted an initial interview with Sypher after she met with Det. Mona Sullivan to report the alleged rapes by Pitino.

The audio of that initial interview was played by the jury.

Sypher can be heard on the audio telling Abbott, "My Mom and I – we wanted to know if we could file charges of rape…"

She says later, "I want to file charges."

Abbott can be heard telling her that LMPD can only initiate an investigation – not file charges – as that action has to be taken by the Commonwealth Attorney's Office.

"We don't make that decision here," Abbott says in the recording.

He asked Sypher if she wanted to initiate an investigation.

"Absolutely," Sypher says on the tape.

On the tape, Sypher gets into the general details of the rape. She said it happened around Aug. 1.

"What was the location?" Abbott asks.

"It was at Porcini," Sypher said.

Abbott asked where Porcini was.

"Um…the Highlands. I want to say Frankfort Avenue," Sypher says on the recording.

"I have every right as a citizen to come and file this complaint," Sypher says in the recording later. "I was told before and it's time to do this…I am going to finally start telling the truth that needs to come out instead of keeping quiet."

Later on the tape, she asks, "Will this, will, when will….this will be public record, correct?"

Abbott responds that he can't estimate when it will be public.

Later Sypher asks, "The media is always at my door, so would they get ahold of this?"

At the conclusion this recording, the prosecution team presented another recording – this one of an in depth interview Abbott conducted with Sypher some time later. The interview is believed to be roughly two hours long, and includes both audio and video. The jury heard a portion of that interview and is expected to hear the rest tomorrow morning. Here are some of the things that were said.

It begins as Abbott advises Sypher that the interview is going to be recorded, "so that there's no confusion about what was said" and "no ambiguity – it's on the record."

He later assured her that, "I'm not intimidated by high-profile cases."

Sypher gives her name and Abbott asks her to talk about the first alleged rape – the one that took place at Porcini.

"It was either a Friday or a Saturday," Sypher said. She explained that she drove to Porcini to meet an executive about a possible job at The Courier-Journal.

"He was a friend of a friend of mine," she said, adding that she wanted to give him an updated resume.

"Uh, I had a glass of red wine," Sypher explained. "I'm not a big drinker."

She said she and the executive were "in the back room when you come into the doors to the left."

Later, she said, she and the executive got up to leave.

That's when, she said, she saw Rick Pitino in the restaurant.

"I recognized him," she told Abbott in the video. "I had never met him before."

She said she also noticed that there was an open seat next to him and a glass of red wine on the bar.

She told Abbott Pitino invited her over. She accepted his invitation.

"I love dealing with people and I wasn't going to be rude," she said. "I don't recall the exact talk or the manner of the conversation."

She added later that, "he had a glass of wine ready for me."

Soon, she said, the conversation turned toward her children.

"Of course I was bragging about how good they were in basketball," she said. She added that she asked him to talk to her son on the phone.

"There's a phone record somewhere…which I cannot find in my records at all – they say it's been way too long," Sypher said in the video. "A lot of things have disappeared since this all started."

Soon, Sypher told Abbott, things began to change. It got dark.

"All of a sudden, Tim Coury…was whispering back and forth, back and forth, different questions," she said. "Obviously I was the main target."

She said it started to get darker.

"I'm wondering if something was in my drink," she told Abbott in the video. "All of the customers started leaving."

Later, she said she wanted to leave, but Pitino convinced her to stay and order and appetizer.

"He asked me to get up and sit down at a booth," she said. "He walked me over and sat me down on the leather side."

"I did notice that Tim Coury gave him a big chain of keys and I heard him say, ‘Make sure you lock up,'" she said. "I heard those words verbatim."

"Everyone left," Sypher said in the video. "The appetizers never came…he [Pitino] came back with a towel and several bottles of wine."

At this point, Sypher said Pitino undid his pants. Then he started to pull down her clothes.

"I was pushing and I was screaming and I was screaming and I was screaming," she said.

"I was afraid to scream," she said later. "I was afraid of this powerful man."

Later, she said, he asked her to take him home.

"I just wanted to get home," she said. "I said, ‘I am not taking you home. Don't you have anyone else to drive you?'"

She said Pitino responded by saying they were the only ones there.

"I wasn't strong enough to kick him out," Sypher said later in the interview. "So I drove him home. He left me his card. He left me on the seat and he got out."

During playing of the video interview – particularly during the description of the rape – Karen Sypher could be seen sobbing in the courtroom. Her head was down and her long, blonde hair covered her face. A couple of sobs could be heard, and she rubbed her eyes, nodding her head occasionally. At one point she banged her forehead several times with her hand.

Later in the interview, Sgt. Abbott asked Sypher why she was only coming forward with the allegations now – so many years later – adding that it "seemed like retaliation."

Sypher claimed that she was forced to have an abortion and said, "I'm a devout Catholic. Just buried my grandmother. Never had an abortion. Never thought of having an abortion. And I wanted a baby."

She said Pitino said she couldn't have the baby because he was "too well known."

She said her husband, Tim Sypher, threatened her as well.

Sgt. Abbott told her in the interview that he wasn't yet satisfied. She still hadn't answered the question of why she had waiting so long to bring the allegation.

"You're all over the place," he told her. "You know what I mean? I've been sitting here waiting for it for several minutes.

Then he suggested they take a break.

At this point, the judge suggested that the court also "take a break" and recess for the day – which we did.

Testimony is expected to resume tomorrow at 9:30.

Mona Sullivan
Louisville Metro Police Sexual Assault Unit

Detective Mona Sullivan is a face that may seem familiar. She is occasionally on the local newscasts as a spokeswoman for Louisville Metro Police when the media covers sex crimes.

Today, she was before the jury. Professionally dressed, Sullivan explained how she had been working with LMPD for 15 years – 10 of which were with the sex assault unit.

She recalled the day Karen Sypher showed up at Louisville Metro Police headquarters wanting to report two rapes she said were committed against her by University of Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino.

"That afternoon, we received a call from downstairs," Sullivan recalled. "There was a person needing to report to us."

When she came down to the ground floor, she said she saw Karen Sypher standing with her mother – along with a television news photographer and a reporter.

Sullivan testified that when she stepped off the elevator, the photographer told her, "I don't know why we're here." To that, she said she replied, "I don't know why we're here either."

She said she told the photographer, "please don't shoot me from behind."


"I was a little bit heavier then," she said. This brought laughter from the courtroom.

Sullivan told the jury that she got on an elevator with Sypher and her mother. This took them to the third floor of LMPD headquarters. Once there, she said she engaged Sypher in a question-and-answer session – not an official interview – that lasted roughly 45-60 minutes.

She said that interview was taped.

Sullivan testified that, during the interview, Sypher seemed especially concerned about the statue of limitations as it related to rape charges. Sullivan said Sypher was also worried about the possibility that she could be arrested for talking to them. (By this time, the FBI had already filed charges against Sypher – and a gag order had been in place.)

Sullivan said she told Sypher she didn't know if she could be arrested or not.

"She was concerned that it might be a violation of her bond," Sullivan said.

"Did the defendant know that you were recording?" asked Assistant U.S. Attorney Marisa Ford.


Sullivan said the reason she records interviews is because they want to get everything in the victim's own words.

A video of that question-and-answer session was produced by the prosecution and played for the jury. During the video, Sypher and Sullivan could be heard discussing the reason for her visit.

"I'm just here to report a rape," Sypher said in the video.

Later, Sullivan can be heard telling Sypher, "Unless you have documentation, it may not be worth it to you to talk to us." She adds later that this may be terrible thing to say, but reporting rape is one thing. Actually getting a conviction is a "different ballgame."

At the end of the video, Ford began to question Sullivan on the stand about the public nature of rape accusations. Sullivan said that – regardless of whether Pitino would be charged or not – the accusations of rape would become public record when the case was closed.

Sullivan asked if she – in the 10 years she had been working with the LMPD sex assault unit – had ever seen an instance where a complainant entered the police department with a television news crew in tow.

"No," she said.

Sullivan later testified that, before Sypher and her mother got on the elevator, they "seemed to act like they didn't know why the cameras where there." She said the reporter handed Sypher her card and told her to call her when the interview was over.

James Earhart, Sypher's attorney, rose to cross examine Sullivan.

The topic of questioning turned toward the number of sexual assaults that result in a conviction, versus the number that are actually reported. Earhart pointed out that some accused rapists are never actually charged by police because it becomes a he-said / she-said situation and there's no proof.

"There are circumstances where it's just basically your word versus another person's," he said.

"Yes," Sullivan admitted.

He then asked Sullivan to characterize Sypher's motivations.

"Did she fear perhaps repercussions if this information were made public?" Earhart asked, speaking of the rape.

"I have no idea," Sullivan replied.

"Were you aware at this time that she had previously reported this rape to the FBI?" Earhart asked.


Moments later, Sullivan concluded her testimony.

Witness: Melanie Kahn
Reporter, WHAS-11

Long dark hair and a black business suit. That's how WHAS-11 reporter Melanie Kahn appeared before the jury Monday afternoon. She smiled when she entered the room and when she was greeted by Assistant U.S. District Prosecutor John Kuhn.

Kuhn and Kahn both made a point of showing that Kahn had been compelled to come there.

"I am here by order of the court," Kahn said.

"Are you acquainted with Mrs. Sypher?" Kuhn asked.


Kuhn then referred to a WHAS-11 news broadcast that aired on June 17, 2009.

"You report what you consider news concerning Mrs. Sypher, correct?" Kuhn asked.

"Yes," Kahn replied.

"Did you hear from the defendant on the day before the story was taken?" Kuhn asked.


Kuhn asked her to explain what happened the day before. Kahn told the jury she received a phone call from Sypher.

"My recollection is she told me that she was going down to the police headquarters the next day," Kahn said.

(NOTE: This was the day Sypher approached the Louisville Metro Police Department sex crimes unit with accusations of rape against University of Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino.)

Kahn said she didn't recall Sypher specifically asking for them to bring a camera crew, but the station sent one anyway. The next morning, the photographer and a reporter were waiting at LMPD headquarters and followed Sypher in as she asked to speak to the sex crimes unit.

The story was played for the jury.

"It's not about me anymore," Sypher told the reporter in the news story. "That is why I will fight to the bitter end and the truth will come out."

Kahn was dismissed from the stand moments later. James Earhart, Karen Sypher's attorney, did not cross examine.

Witness: Keith Randall Wise
Ex-husband of Karen Sypher

This afternoon, the jurors heard from one of the men who should know Karen Sypher the most: her ex-husband.

Keith Randall Wise took the stand. A resident of Louisville, Wise had actually been married twice to Sypher. The first marriage ran from 1981 to 1984. The second marriage lasted a bit longer, from 1986 to 2002.

He said he'd fathered four sons with Sypher, and had appeared in family court in the past on child support issues related to his four sons.

"You currently have a motion for child support in the custody case, right?" asked Assistant U.S. District Prosecutor John Kuhn.

"Yes sir," Wise replied.

"Does that fact that you have the motion pending affect your testimony in any way?"

"No sir."

Prosecutor Kuhn began his examination by asking Wise if he'd ever heard Sypher mention the name "Lester" during their marriage. (Last week, we heard testimony from Lester Goetzinger, who said he had a sexual relationship with Sypher and made threatening telephone calls to Rick Pitino at Sypher's request.)

Wise said that he had – and that he would often find meats around that house that Sypher said Lester had left for them.

He said in 2002, he and Sypher finalized their divorce.

"Since 2002, did you talk with the defendant on a regular basis?" Kuhn asked.

"I wouldn't say a regular basis," Wise replied, adding that they speak only "occasionally" and then only related to court proceedings.

Kuhn then asked Wise to recall a specific phone call he received from his ex-wife.

"I was actually at my girlfriend's house," Wise testified.

Wise explained to the jury that Karen Sypher had called to tell him that, "I might have something on Rick Pitino." Wise said he told her, "Karen, I don't want to hear about it. I don't." He said Sypher told him Pitino had offered her $100,000 and she had demanded $500,000.

Wise testified that on a different occasion in Summer 2009 – after Sypher had been charged by the FBI – she told him on the phone, "If I'm going down, I'm gonna take Pitino with me."

He told the jury he had urged her to take any plea deal she was offered. He said he didn't want her to put their four boys through the emotional turmoil of a trial.

Kuhn's examination of Wise was brief. Moments later, Karen Sypher's attorney, James Earhart, took his turn with him.

Earhart asserted that in July 2008, Wise was over $23,000 behind in child support payments.

"I disagree with that, sir," Wise said.

Earhart referred to court documents that showed that Wise was supposed to make $1,000 a month in child support payments to Karen Sypher for their four children. He also demanded to know whether Wise was held in contempt of court for not making over $23,000 of these payments.

"Yes I was," Wise said.

He added later that, "I had my boys for 18 months," while child support was being accrued and that, "she [Sypher] was nowhere to be found." During this time period, he said he was putting his kids through school at.

He said a judge told him that he accrued the child support through a technicality – that if he'd paid $23 and made a filing with the court, the child support payments would have ceased during this period.

He later explained that he ended up paying the additional $23,000 anyway, just to settle the balance.

"I paid for my boys twice," he said. "Yes sir."

He said in April of this year, he went to family court and requested that his required child support payments be terminated, due to the charges faced by Karen Sypher. He says he now no longer is required to make the payments.

"My boys live with me now all the time," he said. 

His testimony ended shortly thereafter.

Witness: Barbie Hennessey
Court reporter 

Barbie Hennessey's testimony lasted less than two minutes.

She sat in the witness box and spelled her last name. Hennessey said she had been a court reporter for over eight years.

"We sit in a deposition and take down what everybody says," Hennessey explained.

We never found out what it was that Hennessey took down. In an instant, James Earhart, Karen Sypher's attorney – asked to approach the bench. Both attorneys spoke with the judge for several minutes, their words masked by static.

Moments later, the judge broke for lunch.

We never saw Hennessey again.

Witness: Tyree Fields
Former sports consultant and boyfriend of Karen Sypher

Moments later, the court heard testimony of one Tyree Fields.

He was an African American with a background in technology who arrived in court wearing a blue suit, white shirt and yellow tie. Fields explained that he was born in Dayton, Ohio and currently resides there – but from 2007 to the spring of 2009, he lived in Louisville.

He testified that, during this period, he was employed as a sports consultant.

He said he met Karen Sypher in 2008 in a mall in Louisville. They met casually, but their relationship grew to include oral sex and intercourse, according to his testimony.

During their sexual relationship, Fields testified, she cautioned that she was "fertile as a rabbit." (NOTE: This matches up with Pitino's testimony, in which he said she told him something similar.)

Over time, Fields said, their relationship changed and he became Sypher's "confidant." He characterized her as "not happy" and said she "generally did not seem to be a happy person."

Fields testified that Sypher told him that she had "financial issues" but that she had found a way to establish some "financial resources" and that she planned on getting a divorce.

Some time later, Fields said, Sypher began telling him other things.

"She told me she had been raped at Porcini," he said.

He said she also told him about the second alleged rape by Rick Pitino – the one that Sypher claimed had happened at Tim Sypher's condo – but he pointed out one detail that conflicts with prior testimony.

"The incident happened after the abortion had taken place," he said.

Kuhn asked whether Karen Sypher said anything about her husband – Tim Sypher – threatening to put her or her children "concrete" if word of the alleged rapes got out.

"She never said anything like that to me," Fields said.

Fields testified that on Friday, April 24, 2009 – the same day Sypher was charged by the FBI – he returned to Louisville from a trip to Alaska. That's when he said he heard important news about Pitino.

"I heard something about an extortion that was going around town," he said.

Fields said he heard this news from the attendant who provided a tuxedo for him, as well as in an article that appeared in either "Velocity" or "Leo."

He testified that it wasn't until Monday – three days later – when he "really started dialing into that stuff" and learned that Karen Sypher was the one allegedly behind the extortion plot. He said that he had already arranged to meet her that day – not knowing about the charges – and when they did eventually meet, he confronted her about them.

He said she first demanded to know whether he was recording the conversation or wearing a wire. He assured her that he was not. Then he demanded to know why the FBI had filed charges against Sypher.

"I said, ‘What the heck did you do? Why did you do that?'" Fields testified.

Fields told the court that Sypher replied with, "I know. It was stupid. I shouldn't have done that."

"That was the last time that we had any contact with one another," Fields told the court.

Moments later, Jim Earhart, Karen Sypher's attorney, rose to cross-examine Fields.

He asked Fields if he had been a talent scout for basketball teams.

"That was one of the roles I had," Fields said.

"I assume in your association, you probably know Rick Pitino?" Earhart asked.

"I do," Fields said, though he added later that he did not eat with Pitino.

Earhart asked if Fields felt he had "been associated" with players that the University of Louisville would have been interested in. Fields showed some discomfort with this line of questioning – and Earhart probed further to try to establish Fields' role as a recruiter and his relationship with the University of Louisville.

Earhart then pointed out a possible discrepancy between Fields' testimony earlier before the grand jury and his testimony today. Earhart said Fields' testimony to the grand jury was that Sypher told him about the alleged rapes in 2007, but today he testified that she told him in 2008.

Fields maintained today that it was 2008.

"It was clearly an error as far as the year was concerned," Fields said.

Earhart's cross examination then focused on the April 27 meeting Fields had with Sypher.

"What reason would she have to believe that you had a tape on you or anything?" he demanded.

Fields said it was a "strange meeting."

Earhart asked him about Sypher's reply that she had been stupid to try to extort Pitino.

Were those her exact words?

"I'm not saying it's a quote," Fields said. "I'm saying that's what she said."

Earhart then questioned Fields about the nature of his relationship with Sypher. How many people knew about it?

"Our relationship started out very, very sexual, and then it tapered off," Fields said later. "We weren't going out on dates. We weren't doing things in public. It was a very private situation."

Then how did Fields wind up before a grand jury today? How did anyone even know to call him as a witness to the Karen Sypher trial.

Fields said he had been approached by the FBI not long after that – and by Maciello, an assistant coach at the University of Louisville.

Fields' testimony ended shortly after that.

Witness: Dana Kolter - Part II
Louisville attorney
Cross examination

As court began on Monday, Jim Earhart, Karen Sypher's attorney, rose to cross-examine Dana Kolter.

Last week, Kolter testified that he had a sexual relationship with Sypher and wrote a letter to University of Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino in which Sypher accused Pitino of raping her twice and forcing her to get an abortion. (See testimony from last week.)

"She was a salesperson, correct?" Earhart asked Kolter.

"Yes sir," Kolter said, adding that she was also a professional model and did trade show work – including work for his motorcycle renting business, "Hoosier Daddy Motorcycle Company", at the "Hot Bike Show" in Louisville.

"I had used non-professional people before, and decided to try it one more time with someone who knew what she was doing," Kolter testified.

Kolter said his company made one business transaction at the trade show. He said he photographed it (with Sypher in the picture) and put the image on his Web site.

He testified that, shortly after that, the U.S. economic recession kicked in. He said "business was floundering" and "I couldn't do it anymore," so his motorcycle renting company closed down – but he maintained contact with Sypher.

Earhart then asked Kolter to recall the events surrounding the day he wrote the letter to Coach Pitino in March 2009.

Kolter again recalled seeing Sypher.

"She appeared to be very upset and afraid," he told Earhart.

Earhart added that, "I believe you testified that it was difficult to get anything out of her" because of her emotional state. He asked Kolter what – he thought – she was afraid of.

"That they were going to expose her to the public," Kolter said. "She was afraid of being this victim who was going to be castigated before all."

Earhart again showed Kolter and the jury the letter to Rick Pitino that came from Kolter's office in March 2008.

"This letter was written by you, correct?" Earhart asked.

"Yes," Kolter said, adding that he wrote it at the direction of Karen Sypher.

"It wasn't written by Karen Sypher," Earhart pointed out.

Kolter responded that Sypher was sitting next to him when it was written.

Earhart lightly touched on details of the letter. In particular, the prosecution had recently mocked the letter for its description of the evening of the night of the alleged rape at Porcini as "snowy." (In actuality, the alleged rape took place in the middle of summer on July 31, 2003.)

Earhart asked Kolter if Sypher really told him that it was snowy that night or if he simply added that himself.

"She actually said, ‘snowy'" he said.

Kolter went on to say that he takes the honesty of his clients very seriously.

"I try to interview them every time and get the truth out of them," he said.

He testified that he would often do interviews on the phone when clients called.

"They used to call me," he said.

Earhart asked Kolter to explain what happens in cases where clients give him stories that, on their face, appear to be false. He said that, if a story has doesn't have merit, "you simply decline representation. Is that true?"

"Yes," Kolter said.

Earhart then brought up Kolter's contingency fee agreement with Sypher. Last week, Kolter told prosecutors that he typically charges clients over 33.5 percent of whatever settlement agreement is reached at the conclusion of their case. Kolter then admitted that he only charged Sypher a 10 percent rate.

"It's not necessarily a small fee if the amount that's going to be awarded in this particular litigation is a large amount," Earhart observed.

Kolter agreed.

Kolter went on to describe his horror of the story Sypher was telling him – one that involved rapes, abortion and a threatening husband. Kolter said he felt the charges were so serious that he needed to bring "the wrath of God" down on Pitino. He said he contacted Bill Rambicure (Pitino's attorney at the time) and Lexington business associate Rick Avare (a friend of Pitino's.)

Kolter said he was representing Karen Sypher in her divorce proceedings against Tim Sypher, and thought that case provided an opportunity to interview Rick Pitino and see if any of Karen's story panned out.

"I had to ask," he said. "I was going to ask."

His basis for bringing Pitino up in the divorce proceeding: Tim Sypher's connection to Pitino, and Karen Sypher's allegation that their entire marriage had been a sham to prop up Pitino's reputation.

"It was one of the weirdest things I had ever seen," Kolter said of Tim and Karen's relationship. "It looked like undue influence. It looked just like it."

Kolter said Pitino initially agreed to be deposed for the divorce case, but never showed up. He said if he had gotten the deposition – and it appeared to back up Sypher's rape claims – he would have pursued a separate case and gotten justice for Sypher. He even went so far as to post pictures of Porcini, Rick Pitino and the booth where the alleged rape took place on his wall.

"How cruel can we be in the law?" he asked. "I would have argued that. I don't know if I would have won that or not."

In retrospect, he says he's suffered for the decision.

"I just know that I've got a big ‘A' in the middle of my forehead," he said, making reference to the classic novel, The Scarlet Letter.

Earhart, Sypher's attorney, pointed out that it was Karen Sypher herself who made it possible for him to testify today.

"She wanted me to talk about it, apparently, because she waived it and here I am," Kolter said.

Earhart added that Sypher waived the privilege, even though the testimony was likely embarrassing to Kolter.

"Of course it is," Kolter said.

"And it's embarrassing to Karen?"

"It should be."

A moment later, Earhart left the floor and Assistant U.S. District Prosecutor John Kuhn rose to question Kolter again.

He attacked Kolter's analysis of Sypher – specifically his suspicion that she had been suffering from Stockholm Syndrome – by pointing out his lack of credentials.

"Do you have a Ph.D. in clinical psychology?" Kuhn asked.

"Absolutely not," Kolter said, adding later, "I wouldn't pretend to be an expert – no sir. That's why I sent her to a psychologist."

He said Sypher refused to see anyone else at the time because she didn't want to be discovered.

"Doesn't that seem silly," he mumbled.

When Kuhn asked him to explain his last statement, Kolter replied, "look what's happened!"

"I meant that no matter what she did, she was either gonna stay in that situation or face it," he added a second later.

As the back-and-forth between Kolter and Kuhn continued, Kolter added, "I'm put in a pretty bad spot here, and I'm just trying to answer as best I can."

Kuhn pointed out that Kolter never actually subpoenaed Pitino to be deposed for Tim Sypher's divorce proceeding – and since Pitino was not a party to the divorce proceeding, he had no obligation to appear without a subpoena.

"I didn't create this nightmare," Kolter said a few moments later, adding that, "I didn't create the circumstances…I was trying to investigate the facts of this marriage and this custody on this dysfunctional family."

He repeated his insistence that he had to use the divorce proceedings as a tool to discovery the veracity of Sypher's rape claims.

"I couldn't ring one bell without the other ringing," Kolter said. "They were side-by-side."

Kolter admitted that he never saw Tim Sypher threaten Karen Sypher.

"Did he control her conduct with you?" Kuhn asked in an apparent veiled reference to Kolter's sexual relationship with Karen Sypher.

"Absolutely not," Kolter said.

Kuhn also pointed out that Karen Sypher had easy access to a lawyer.

"If she had to seduce a lawyer to get one, I guess she probably did," Kolter said.

He added later that he had to get inside Sypher's head to see if she was being imprisoned in a psychological "cage" and if her "eggs were scrambled."

A few moments later, Kolter wrapped up his testimony and left the stand.