LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Louisville man charged with the beating death of his girlfriend's 3-year old son will be arraigned on murder charges Tuesday.

Shively police say Larry Webster, 36, was babysitting his girlfriend's son Sunday afternoon when he called 911 to report the child, Ah-Haod Crawford, was not breathing and unresponsive, said Det. Josh Myers with the Shively Police Department.

Fire officials and paramedics arrived and took the boy to Kosair Children's Hospital where he died late Sunday evening. By then, Webster had been arrested and charged with attempted murder - hours before the child's death.

The coroner says Crawford died from multiple blunt force trauma. An arrest report says family members and witnessees suspected Webster had been abusing the boy.

Neighbors at the By the Park Apartments in Shively are still puzzled about how and why the child was beaten to death.

"As you can see my eyes, I've been crying all morning, crying all night. It's pretty sad," said Michelle Pardue, a neighbor.

Balloons have since been placed outside the apartment where the boy lived with his mother, Ja'lisa Hobson and Webster.

A woman, who identified herself as the boy's aunt, did not want to be interviewed. She told a WDRB News reporter that the boy's mother was upset and with family.

"You never know what goes on behind closed doors," said Pardue.

Other neighbors said they heard occassionally heard noises coming from the apartment.

"It sounded like somebody yelling - but that was it. Like saying "nooo" something like that," said Linda Fischer, a neighbor.

Court records show this isn't the first time Webster has been accused of violence against a child. An emergency protective order was taken out against Webster in 2001. In that case, a woman named Keisha Carter claimed Webster threatened to kill her and their child.

Webster said little in court Monday – only acknowledging he will need an attorney.

Police say right now the investigation does not focus on the mother but solely on Webster.

"The investigation will continue and we will be looking into the history of everyone involved. Not to say charges won't be forthcoming, but there is no indication at this point that there will be," said Myers.