LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The Jefferson County Coroner's Office says the man involved in a chase and shooting Tuesday killed himself.

Twenty-six-year-old Norman Smith of Louisville died of a gunshot wound inside his mouth, according to the coroner's office.  He was pronounced dead at the scene in the 1800 block of Nelligan Alley at 12:47 on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, LMPD could release the names of two officers involved in that shooting as early as Wednesday afternoon.

Two LMPD officers were injured in the shooting on Tuesday.  

According to interim LMPD Police Chief Ishmon Burks, officers responded to calls of shots fired around 12:30 p.m. in the 1000 block of west Jefferson. When officers arrived, they got behind a white SUV suspected in the incident.

"He shot at our officers, and he got back in his vehicle and took off and we went after him. When he shot at our officers is when we had all the glass explosion. I think it was a shot gun if I am not mistaken that did most of the damage," says Ishmon Burks, the interim LMPD Police Chief.

Police say the suspect, now identified as Norman Smith, led them on a chase to an alley in the 1800 block of Nelligan Alley, located in the Portland area. Authorities say more shots were fired.

"We heard a bunch of cops come down. I heard brakes lock up behind that building over there. Seen him get out of the truck shooting," says witness Charles Sanislow.

Two officers were injured. A bullet grazed one officer's face. Another officer suffered injuries from shattered glass.

"The injuries he sustained were from the glass actually breaking from his window being shot out," says Col. Yvette Gentry with Louisville Metro Police.

Smith was found dead in his vehicle.

Interim LMPD Chief Ishmon Burks and Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer arrived at the hospital shortly after the injured officers. Burks said both officers were expected to recover. The officer who suffered cuts from the glass has been released from the hospital and sent home to recover.

The other officer remains in stable condition at University Hospital.

"The good news is that both officers are going to be fine," Fischer said, calling today's shooting "a very scary moment" for the city.

"If we ever need any reminder of what a great job our police officers do every day, it's days like today," Fischer said.

"It brings home to us the dangers officers face on the street every single day when they go out and put their lives on the line for their community," says Sgt. Robert Biven.

We're told police questioned a second person in this case.

They say he was a "person of interest" who may have been involved with the initial shooting that officers were responding to.

They tell us he contacted them through his attorney, and has not been charged at this point.

Copyright 2011 WDRB News. All Rights Reserved.