Toddler chokes on Christmas ornament - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Family works to prevent toddlers from choking on Christmas ornaments

Posted: Updated:

SIMPSONVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- There are holiday dangers all around your house. One family is using what happened to their toddler to prevent other choking incidents.

The Wade family Christmas tree is filled with meaningful ornaments, as they celebrate the joy of the season. But about a year ago, the family had quite a scare involving their playful toddler Harrison, who is now two and a half years old.

Mother Danielle Wade says, "I knew he wasn't choking on a blueberry. If he was vomiting blood, it was something serious."

He was rushed to Kosair Children's Medical Center-Brownsboro to figure out what had him gagging and gasping for air. His parents later found out Harrison pulled apart an ornament. The bulb was on the ground and the top was inside his throat.

They have pictures that show how the metal top of the ornament was found flattened. Because of its shape, he was still able to breathe.

Danielle says, "It had these sharp edges that got caught in his throat, so that way it didn't go into his stomach or cause any type of internal bleeding."

Matt Wade, Harrison's father, says, "They were able to sedate him, went in with a tool and pulled it out." He says Harrison had some scratches, but he ended up being okay.

On the tree this year, all of the ornaments are hung with string. Danielle still has bulb ornaments on the garland. She says, "This year, I just tied them really tightly around the garland so if they did come off, all that would come off is just this ball." The top of the ornament would stay attached to the garland.

Through Harrison's story, the Wades are now educating all their friends, family, and the public about ornament safety. Danielle says, "It took me a long time to get over guilt because I was right here in same room. I didn't even know what happened, it can happen to anybody."

Norton Healthcare remembers Harrison's case well. It says around this time of year, it sees many kids not only choking on ornaments, but small toys, and batteries too.

"If you can put it through a toilet paper roll or any part of it can fit through a toilet paper roll it's really too small for a child 3 and under," said Erika Janes, an RN at Norton Healthcare.

Nurses also warn parents about keeping poisonous poinsettias and other hazardous plants away from children and pets.

Copyright 2011 WDRB News.  All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.