Friday, December 6 2013 2:20 PM EST2013-12-06 19:20:19 GMT
Cancellations for church services, child care services and community events due to wintry weather. This is separate from Snow Fox school and large business closings listed on the home page.More >>
Running list of cancellations for church services, child care services and community events due to wintry weather. This is separate from Snow Fox school and large business closings also prominent on the home page here.More >>
1.Stir together first 7 ingredients and serve as a dip with vegetables including carrots, sliced cucumbers, celery, broccoli and cauliflower.
Or make in to sandwiches:
2. Spread mixture on 1 side of 12 bread slices; top with remaining 12 bread slices.
3. Trim crusts from sandwiches; cut each sandwich into 4 triangles with a serrated knife.
Approximate nutrition information per serving: 58 Calories, 1.6g Total Fat, 135mg Sodium, 3.5mg Cholesterol, 9g Total Carbohydrate, 1.5g Fiber, 2.4g Protein.
Recipe adapted from: Southern Living, JUNE 2011
Mint-Green Tea Lemonade (family-friendly alternative to a Mint Julep) Servings: 8
Lemon wedges for garnish (optional) 1 (12-oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate 4 cups filtered cold water 6 green tea bags 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves 2 1/2 cups water
1. In medium saucepan bring 4 cups water to boiling; remove from heat and add green tea bags. Allow tea to steep for several minutes. Discard bags.
2. In 2-quart pitcher, combine all ingredients; chill at least 2 hours. Strain, if desired.
3. Serve in ice-filled glasses. Garnish, if desired, with lemon wedges.
Nutritional information per serving: 102 Calories, 0g Fat, 4mg Sodium, 26g Total Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber.
This recipe is provided by Try Foods International.
Kentucky-Style Hot Brown Sandwiches Serves: 6
6 slices of turkey bacon (NuVal™ 17) (regular bacon NuVal™ 7) 6 slices whole grain, thick, crusty bakery bread (or whole grain ciabatta bread) 1 Tbsp. Meijer butter 2 Tbsp. Meijer all-purpose flour ½ tsp. Creole seasoning or seasoned salt 1 ½ cups lowfat 1% milk (NuVal™ 81) (whole milk NuVal™ 52) 1 cup shredded 2% milk sharp Cheddar cheese (NuVal™ 22) (regular sharp Cheddar cheese NuVal™ 22) ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese 4 tsp. Dijon mustard ½ - 1 tsp. hot sauce 12 thin slices Markets of Meijer turkey breast 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced (NuVal™ 96) Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels then crumble.
2. Toast the bread and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and Creole seasoning until blended and bubbly. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to simmer. Simmer, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cheeses, mustard, and hot sauce. Remove from heat. Taste and add more Creole seasoning or salt, as needed. Cover and keep warm.
4. Heat the broiler.
5. Arrange the toasted bread on a baking pan. Top each slice of bread with turkey, then arrange tomato slices over the turkey. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, then spoon cheese sauce over the tomatoes.
6. Put the open-faced sandwiches under the broiler and broil just until the cheese sauce begins to bubble and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot.
Approximate nutrition information per serving for original recipe with regular bacon, white bread, whole milk, regular fat cheese: 390 Calories, 17.2g Fat, 9.8g Saturated Fat, 814mg Sodium, 58mg Cholesterol, 39g Total Carbohydrate, 1g Fiber, 19.5g Protein.
Approximate nutrition information per serving with healthier version of recipe: 330 Calories, 12.5g Fat, 5.6g Saturated Fat, 806mg Sodium, 34mg Cholesterol, 33g Total Carbohydrate, 1.6g Fiber, 20g Protein.
Savings (per serving):
·60 calories ·4.7g total fat ·4.2g saturated fat ·24mg cholesterol
Fresh Fruit Salad Servings: 8
1 medium cantaloupe, seeded, rind removed; cut into 1/2-inch pieces (NuVal™ 93) 1 (16-oz.) container fresh pineapple spears, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (NuVal™ 99) 1/2 lb. strawberries, hulled, cut into quarters (NuVal™ 100) 1 cup seedless red grapes (NuVal™ 91) Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1. In a large bowl combine cantaloupe, pineapple, strawberries and grapes. Toss gently. Top each serving with a mint sprig, if desired.
Approximate nutrition information per serving: 75 Calories, 0.3g Fat, 12mg Sodium, 0mg Cholesterol, 19g Total Carbohydrate, 2.2g Fiber, 1.2g Protein.