Third suspect captured in Gregory Holt's death - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Third suspect captured in Gregory Holt's death

Posted: Updated:
Gregory Holt Gregory Holt
Cannon Pendergrass Cannon Pendergrass

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- The third suspect in the murder of a 15-year-old Louisville boy has been arrested.  U.S. Marshals and Metro Police caught up with Cannon "Curt" Pendergrass on Monday.  He is wanted for the murder of 15-year-old Gregory Holt.

Holt was found shot to death on April 11th in his mother's apartment near Dixie Highway and East Rockford Lane.

Two other suspects have been charged in Gregory Holt's death.  A judge is now siding with Holt's family, who says one of the suspects should never have been let out of jail.

In a 14-page court document, Judge Charles Cunningham called out prosecutors for seeking shock probation for James Mallory, who is one of two suspects initially charged with the murder of 15-year-old Gregory Holt.

Anthony Hogan was also charged with murder and burglary.

Mallory had been on shock probation when the murder happened after agreeing to testify in other trials for the Commonwealth's Attorney.  He has a history of drug and theft charges.

After finding out Mallory was on shock probation, Gregory's family sent a letter to Attorney General Jack Conway and the Commonwealth's Attorney asking the prosecutor, Tom Van De Rostyne, either resign or be fired.

Judge Charles Cunningham sided with the Holt family in the Opinion and Order saying, "a decision by a prosecutor, like seeking shock probation for Mr. Mallory, looks horrible in hindsight."

Holt's family says Judge Cunningham's statement is proof Mallory should not have been on the streets.  Teri Tharpe, a spokesperson for the Holt family, says, "There's actually someone that can make decisions that, you know, agree with how we feel he should have never been let out.  I feel like you know, if he committed all the crimes he did, why let him out if he could snitch on somebody?  He could have stayed in jail and still went and testified, why be let back out on the streets?"

Tharpe continued:  "I'm sick of the crime, I'm sick of the killing and the only way it's going to stop is they need to...make examples out of the people that are doing them, leave them in jail, quit letting them out, it's a revolving door."

The Commonwealth's Attorney's Office is not commenting about Judge Cunningham's statements.  A spokesman for Commonwealth's Attorney David Stengel says Stengel supports the actions and decisions of prosecutor Tom Van De Rostyne regarding shock probation for James Mallory.

The spokesman went on to say they can't comment on Mallory's current murder charges because it's still under investigation and they want him to get a fair trial if it goes to that.

The Holt family has asked Attorney General Jack Conway to take over the case.  The three suspects are all charged with murder and burglary in connection to Gregory Holt's death.

Copyright 2012 WDRB News.  All Rights Reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.