Saturday, May 18 2013 8:25 PM EDT2013-05-19 00:25:28 GMT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) --American Idol Season 10 winner, Scotty McCreery, says it's a challenge juggling a North American tour with being a college student. WDRB's Lindsay Allen got the chance to sit downMore >>
American Idol Season 10 winner, Scotty McCreery, talks Idol and career goals with WDRB.More >>
Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Louisville firefighter is injured while rescuing a war veteran in a wheelchair from his burning home. The fire broke out at the home on Charles Street in Germantown around 4:00 Friday morning.
Fire officials say 63-year-old Rodney Downey, his adult son, 24-year-old Shawn Downey, the son's girlfriend, 19-year-old Daviana Strange, and her 2-year-old son Dexton Searcy, were all taken to the hospital after breathing in smoke. Rodney Downey is disabled and had to be rescued from the back of the house. The adults have all been released from University Hospital. The child is still at Kosair Children's Hospital, but his injuries are believed not to be life-threatening.
37-year-old firefighter Nathaniel Pauson also went to University Hospital, with second degree burns to both legs. He's since been released.
Firefighters say the fire caused about $80,000 in damage to the home as well as minor exterior damage to homes on both sides. They say the fire appears to be accidental. They believe it was an electrical fire, but do not have a definite cause so far.
The fire caused extensive damage to the house and minor exterior damage to adjacent homes on both sides, causing an estimated $800,000 in structure and content damage. The family is staying with relatives and is also getting help from the American Red Cross and Salvation Army.
The firefighter suffered minor burns to his legs and has since been released from the hospital. Officials say the fire started in a middle room on the first floor and the family woke up to the sound of the crackling flames.
It's not clear if the home had working smoke detectors.