Getting ready for school to start with a good meal
The first schools in our area head back to class this week (Fort Knox and Grayson County).
Healthy Living Advisor Janine Faber from Meijer stopped by with some advice for getting back into the swing of things for school.
She made a delicious and healthy Grilled Zucchini Pasta Salad. And for those looking to make fruit a little sweeter, there's the Creamy Caramel-Peanut Butter Dip.
Grilled Zucchini Pasta Salad
2 medium Homegrown zucchini, cut into ½-inch rounds
1 red onion, cut into wedges
1 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters
½ cup light balsamic vinaigrette
1 (12 oz.) pkg. Meijer Organics whole-wheat penne pasta
½ cup fresh Homegrown parsley, chopped
4 oz. Meijer shredded Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
1. Place zucchini, onion, bell pepper and vinaigrette in a large resealable bag. Refrigerate 4 to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium. Remove vegetables from marinade; reserve marinade. Place vegetables on grill. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
4. Transfer pasta to a deep serving platter. Remove vegetables from grill; cut into bitesize pieces. Spoon vegetables over pasta; drizzle with reserved marinade. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan.
Per serving: 264 calories, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 13g protein
Recipe from: Meijer July/August Healthy Living Naturally Magazine, 2012
For more Homegrown recipes visit meijermealbox.com.
Serve with: Dole bagged salad
Dessert: Creamy Caramel-Peanut Butter Dip
Makes: 1 cup dip or 8 servings, 2 Tbsp. dip and 3 apple slices each
25 caramels (½ of 14-oz. pkg.)
¼ cup milk
2 Tbsp. PLANTERS Creamy Peanut Butter
3 apples (1 lb.), each cut into 8 slices
½ cup PLANTERS Dry Roasted Peanuts, chopped
1. Microwave first 3 ingredients in microwaveable bowl on high 2½ to 3 min. or until
caramels are completely melted, stirring after each minute.
2. Dip apple slices in warm dip, then sprinkle with nuts.
Cooking Know-How: For top of stove preparation, cook caramels, milk and peanut butter in saucepan on low heat until caramels are completely melted, stirring frequently.
Recipe from: Meijer Back-To-School Booklet, 2012.
To access the weekly menu, visit www.meijermealbox.com/healthy-living.
Meijer Healthy Living Advisor
Janine Faber, MEd, RD, LD
Meijer Dietitian/Healthy Living Advisor
Back to School Event - "Make Your Back-To-School Plan"
·In-store event in ALL Meijer stores on Saturday, August 11th from 11am to 2pm
·See what's new in lunch boxes, backpacks, school supplies and fashions.
·Receive a free Meijer back-to-school booklet (while supplies last) with easy, affordable recipes and ideas for heading back-to-school on a budget.
·Great back-to-school giveaways for kids and parents (while supplies last).
·Sign up for mPerks digital coupons, and save on your favorite back-to-school products.
·Visit the Meijer Pharmacy for Meijer gummy vitamin samples, and receive a free sample of acidophilus pearls, The Smarter Probiotic dietary supplement.
·Learn about back-to-school vaccinations.
Meijer Healthy Living
·Visit our back-to-school demo stations for tasty samples and receive handouts for breakfast, lunch and snack ideas.
·Pick-up a free Healthy Living booklet (while supplies last) with healthy lunch box ideas, checklist for back-to-school foods to have on hand and tips on getting everyone in the mood for back-to-school.