Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A group of former Kentucky Kingdom workers have banded together to push for the re-opening of the amusement park, and the movement is gaining momentum.
On Tuesday, the Kentucky State Fair Board is expected to hold a walk-through of the park for prospective bidders. Potential owners and operators will get the chance to take a gander at the park Tuesday morning at 9:00.
"Save My Park" has just developed over the past few weeks, and has its own Web site and Facebook page, which already has over 2,000 "likes."
Jacob Zimmer has fond memories of Kentucky Kingdom. "For many of us it was our first job, either in high school or in college," he says.
Zimmer is one of ten former workers who have recently organized the group.
The Facebook page dons pictures of the park's glory days, when it was still open and flowing with thrill-seekers.
Former operator Six Flags closed the park after its 2009 season.
It still sits unused at the Kentucky Fair and Expo Center. That's what concerns the group of former workers, especially after the words of Ky. Gov. Steve Beshear and Ky. Lt. Gov. Jerry Abramson last month.
"Now that it is obvious to us that the wrecking ball might happen," says Rob House, another organizing member of Save My Park, "we are trying to gain awareness so we would like for people to visit our website."
Now, the state is asking for ideas. The state wants prospective park operators to describe rides and attractions, a marketing plan, and pay for the bulk of renovations.
Former Kentucky Kingdom owner Ed Hart has submitted a second proposal, but the Fair Board wants to review all options.
Oct. 19 is the deadline for potential owners to submit bids.