High School Checklist: Getting Ready for College
Preparing for college starts long before applications are due. Preparing early-on in high school will help you get a jump start on the competition!
Thursday, July 1st 2004, 12:25 pm EDT
Tuesday, April 5th 2005, 4:27 pm EDT
What Students Need To Do in High School to Prepare for Collge
Freshman & Sophomore Years:
- Become familiar with college entrance requirements and college costs.
- Plan high school course selections to meet recommended coursework for college.
- Find out why you should go to college.
- Jan.–March: Identify important factors in choosing a college.
- Feb.–June: Register for and take a college entrance exam.
- March–Aug.: List, compare, and visit colleges; identify application and financial aid deadlines.
- Aug.–Nov.: Apply to colleges—be sure to meet deadlines. Retake your college entrance exam if you’re not satisfied with your score. Completing additional coursework can help your performance.
- Nov.–Feb.: Apply for financial aid—be sure to meet deadlines.
- Nov.–April: Make final decisions and send in deposits.
Source: ACT, Inc.