Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) --
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The owner of a house that exploded in Indianapolis says he wonders if a faulty furnace might have been to blame for the blast that killed two people and destroyed or damaged dozens of homes.
John Shirley told The Associated Press on Monday that he received a text message last week from his daughter about a problem with the furnace at the house the girl shares with her mother and her mother's boyfriend.
John Shirley says no one was home at the time of the explosion.
His ex-wife, Monserrate Shirley, declined to comment Monday.
Indiana real estate records show the house had been for sale for a year until it was taken off the market in March.
Meanwhile, a top city official is asking for patience as investigators work to determine what caused the deadly explosion.
Indianapolis public safety director Troy Riggs said Monday he knows everyone wants to know what caused Saturday night's explosion but that the investigation "will take some time."
Riggs tells WRTV that investigators are talking with utility companies and others and that they will "forensically look at everything."
City officials say more than 30 homes were damaged so badly that they might have to be demolished. Red Cross spokeswoman Barb Coury said Monday morning that no people remained at a shelter that was set up immediately after the explosion.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)