Keith Kaiser learns about Hanukkah Foods from Chef Bill Lynch at the Bristol Bar and Grille.
Nightly Hanukkah specials will be served up at The Bristol Bar and Grille East from December 8th until December 15th. Foods like olive oil mashed potatoes, Seared Salmon with Dan noodles, Challah bread pudding and Latkes will be served.
The Bristol Bar and Grille Latkes
5 large Yukon gold potatoes
1 large yellow onion
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon, fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons to ¼ cup flour or matzoh meal
Vegetable oil, Schmaltz, or butter for frying
1. Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion together into a large bowl.
2. Put the potatoes into a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. The drier the potatoes, the crispier the latkes will be.
3. Take ¼ of the potato mixture and puree until silky smooth in a food processor. Add to the grated potatoes.
4. Mix the eggs and salt and pepper into the potatoes, then toss in just enough flour or matzoh meal to bind the latkes.
5. Heat a large heavy skillet to medium high heat and add oil or schmaltz into the skillet. Add scoops of the potato mixture (about 2 heaping tablespoons) to the oil and flatten out with a spatula. Cook until brown on one side and flip carefully. The latkes should cook in about 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot with apple sauce and sour cream
Serves 8, or 4 really hungry people.
For more information, click here.