Appointments now accepted for crisis phase of heating assistance - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Appointments now accepted for crisis phase of heating assistance

Posted: Updated:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The annual program that helps prevent disconnection from utility services for low income residents of Louisville begins Wed., Jan. 4.

LIHEAP, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, is operated by the Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership. The crisis phase of LIHEAP will run from Jan. 4 - March 31 or until available funds are expended.

Residents wishing to apply must have an appointment. Appointments must be scheduled in person, Dec. 28-30, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Central CAP Office located at the Urban Government Center, 810 Barret Ave. 

Applicants must be Jefferson County residents with a household income at or below 130% of the federal poverty guidelines (e.g. for a household of four, the gross monthly income cannot exceed $2,422). For the crisis phase, applicants must have received a brown, disconnection notice from their utility service provider, or an eviction notice if their utilities are included in the rent.

The following documentation must be presented when applicants arrive to schedule an appointment:

  1. Picture ID 
  2. Most recent LG&E bill (must be a brown bill), or an eviction notice if utilities are included in the rent

Starting Jan. 4, appointments will be issued at all three CAP offices listed below on weekdays 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. based on funding and appointment availability. Upon registering for an appointment, residents will receive an appointment slip verifying the appointment date, time and location.

Central Office - Urban Government Center
810 Barret Avenue, Room 127, 40204

East Office - Newburg Community Center
4810 Exeter Avenue, 40218

South Office - Southwest Government Center
7219 Dixie Highway, 40272

The following documents must be presented at the time of the appointment:

• Picture ID for head of household
• Proof of all household income (all members) for the preceding month (food stamp award letter, Social Security award letter, pay stubs, etc.). All individuals 18 or over in the household with no income – and who do not receive food stamps -- must have a Proof of No Income form completed prior to applying for benefits (forms are available at the CAP office at 810 Barret or at
•Social Security card(s) or official documentation with social security numbers or Permanent Resident Card Numbers for everyone living in the household.
• Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that heating expenses are included in the rent (i.e. lease agreements).

Benefits provided by this program are paid directly to the applicant's heating vendor.

Individuals who are unable to apply for this program in person may send a representative on their behalf with a note including the applicant's signature and phone number. Call MetroCall at 3-1-1 for more details on how this process works. Residents who are homebound -- which means a medical professional can verify they are confined to the home -- and who are unable to send a representative, may call 574-1274.

Copyright 2012 WDRB News. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.