Peyton Siva and Louisville should be Number One in next college basketball polls
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- And then there were none -- unbeatens in college basketball, that is.
For the 37th consecutive season, no team will finish the college basketball season unbeaten. The 1975-76 Indiana team remains the final team to deliver on that achievement with Duke (Saturday at N.C.State), Michigan (Sunday at Ohio State) and Arizona (Thursday at Oregon) losing in the last four days.
So who will be the new Number One when the next Associated Press and USA Today coaches' polls are released?
Here is my guess (and I am not a voter):
1. Louisville -- lost to Duke without Gorgui Dieng. Peyton Siva and Russ Smith give Rick Pitino the nation's best backcourt.
2. Duke -- lost at N.C. State without Ryan Kelly, who will be out an indefinite period.
3. Indiana -- lost in OT to Butler. Hoosiers will try to end a 10-game losing streak against Wisconsin when the teams play for first place in the Big Ten in Bloomington Tuesday.
4. Kansas -- Only stumble to Michigan State two months ago.
5. Michigan -- played a dreadful first 15 minutes while losing in Columbus.
6. Florida -- two defeats.
7. Arizona -- only one loss, but three close calls.
8. Minnesota -- only losses to Duke and Indiana.
9. Syracuse -- down a man but will be in town to play Louisville next Saturday.
10. Creighton -- tougher to judge a team from the Missouri Valley because of less exposure.