Some child safety recommendations pass the test of time, but other seem to change every year. Safe Kids Coordinator Erika Janes clears up the confusion with five simple tips.
2013 Top Ten Safety Resolutions for Children
Erika G. Janes, RN, Coordinator
Safe Kids Louisville, a program led by Kosair Children's Hospital
1. Always make sure babies sleep Alone, on their Back in a Crib for every nap and at night! Keep cribs bare of all things other than the baby!
2. Properly secure all children younger than 13 in a back seat for every ride in the car. Keep children in the right type of car seat or booster seat until adult lap and shoulder belts fit them correctly which is approximately 4'9" tall and 80 pounds. It's not only the law but it is their life!
3. Make sure your child correctly wears a helmet and other protective gear every time they bike, skate, skateboard, scooter or ride a horse.
4. Teach children to cross streets at corners. Always look left, right and left again before crossing and continue to watch as they cross. Make sure children
younger than 10 always cross streets with an adult!
5. Turn your water heater temperature down to 120 degrees or the "warm" setting to prevent tap water scald burns. Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and outside of every sleeping area. Unless you have a 10-year lithium detector, change the batteries twice a year and test them monthly.
6. Actively supervise your children when they are playing in or near water.
7. Always make sure your children wear life jackets when riding on boats or playing in or near open bodies of water.
8. Keep small items such as toy parts, coins, buttons, beads and small batteries (key fobs, remotes!) away from children under age 5.
9. Keep poisonous items such as medicines and cleaners locked up, away and out of reach of children.
10. Don't let children play in driveways, streets or parking lots. Always walk around your car before you get in and drive off to make sure there are no children or toys behind your car!