There will be a new Number One team in college basketball Monday.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The new college basketball polls won't be released until early Monday afternoon, but who has time to wait?
Four top 10 and half of the top dozen teams in the poll have already stumbled since last Monday. Indiana, Duke and Louisville have already had their shots at number one. The poll remains its usual mid-January spin cycle Rubik's Cube.
"To me there are a good 35 teams that could be a Final Four contender and 12-15 that could win a national championship," U of L coach Rick Pitino said before his team lost to Syracuse, 70-68, Saturday.
Here is what has happened in the top 10 since the poll was released.
1. Louisville – beat UConn; lost to Syracuse.
2. Indiana – lost to Wisconsin, plays at Northwestern Sunday.
3. Duke – beat Georgia Tech.
4. Kansas – beat Baylor; beat Texas.
5. Michigan – beat Minnesota.
6. Syracuse – beat Louisville.
7. Arizona – beat Arizona State.
8. Gonzaga – beat Portland, lost to Butler.
9. Minnesota – lost to Michigan.
10. Florida – beat Texas A&M, beat Missouri.
Here is my first take on how the new top 10 will shake out.
The new top 10:
1. Kansas – Fresh face, anybody? Jayhawks have won 15 straight.
2. Duke – The Blue Devils will likely get the call.
3. Syracuse – Beat number one on the road, despite a blizzard of Michael Carter-Williams turnovers.
4. Louisville – One basket in final 11 possessions a Cards' killer.
5. Michigan – Bounced back from Ohio State loss with gusto at Minnesota.