This article was originally distributed via PRWeb. PRWeb, WorldNow and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
A homeowner with old, unsafe windows may want to make the investment to buy new replacement windows, to not only protect against the elements, but also to increase the safety and security of a home. The security experts at SecuritySystemReviews.com created a list of tips for homeowners considering the purchase of replacement windows.
Washington, DC (PRWEB) February 04, 2013
Many homeowners try to avoid the cost of buying replacement windows for as long as possible, but having high-quality windows that are in good condition is invaluable for homeowners for a number of reasons. Windows that are in good condition can increase energy efficiency, add to the value of a home and increase safety and security. Windows that are outdated or in disrepair can actually cost homeowners a lot of money in the long run with big energy bills, and can make a home vulnerable to a break-in.
When choosing replacement windows for a home, there are a number of considerations to keep in mind, including price, appearance, security and safety. The safety and security experts at SecuritySystemReviews.com, a site providing home security system reviews and information about discount security system equipment, created a brief list of considerations for homeowners to keep in mind prior to purchasing replacement windows.
1. The most important consideration to keep in mind when buying replacement windows is function. Check local building codes prior to making a decision, and keep in mind extreme weather conditions that may affect a home, including high winds. For homes that are susceptible to high wind conditions, it may be a good idea to select laminated, shatter-resistant glass. This is also good as an added security measure, because it makes it more difficult for thieves to break the glass as well.
2. Look at the hardware on the window, and consider both the appearance as well as the functionality. There are a number of companies that offer low-profile hardware to improve the look of replacement windows, but it’s also important to find windows that have hardware that is going to keep burglars out, while still being easy to use during a possible emergency. It may also be advisable for homeowners to get a secondary locking system added to windows, for added security.
3. Choose replacement windows from a reputable company. This will likely mean a good warranty will be in place for any purchases.
4. Consider the ease of installation for any windows purchased. It’s also important to replace or repair any damaged window sills or areas around windows. Even with replacement windows, these damaged areas can create an area of opportunity for burglars.
5. Even after purchasing replacement windows, many home security system companies offer additional security options for windows, such as glass break sensors. There are also a number of DIY home security systems with specific features to protect windows.
About the Company
SecuritySystemReviews.com is a site providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews of security system companies and equipment. In addition to reviews, and current promotional offers from top security companies, the site also offers home security system rankings, to assist consumers in the purchase of a home security system.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prwebsecurity-system-tips/choose-replacement-window/prweb10313426.htm