Sunday, May 19 2013 9:56 AM EDT2013-05-19 13:56:30 GMT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- It's a problem that Louisville doctors say is likely to get worse before it gets better. An alarming number of babies are born addicted to prescription drugs. The epidemic hasMore >>
An alarming number of babies born in Kentucky are addicted to prescription drugs. A conference called by the KY Dept. of Health aims at developing a statewide protocol on how to treat Kentucky's youngest victims.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 8:25 PM EDT2013-05-19 00:25:28 GMT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) --American Idol Season 10 winner, Scotty McCreery, says it's a challenge juggling a North American tour with being a college student. WDRB's Lindsay Allen got the chance to sit downMore >>
American Idol Season 10 winner, Scotty McCreery, talks Idol and career goals with WDRB.More >>
Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Adults passed children down to neighbors after a fire broke out around 8:30 this morning at a home in the Parkland neighborhood.
Though there were a half-dozen people inside, including two young children, firefighters say the adults' injuries are not life-threatening and they were able to get out safely.
Fire officials say everyone was out of the home by the time they arrived, and the flames were put out within 20 minutes. They say it was likely sparked by an electric space heater in the first-floor bedroom.
Firefighters say two men and two women were on each floor and the man on the first floor went up to alert the two people upstairs about the fire, to get them and the children out. We're told five people exited from the top floor.
Wayne Pearson, the father and grandfather to the fire victims, told WDRB News, "I don't think they would have made it, it would have been a tragedy. Would have been a bad loss for everybody."
Battalion Chief Jim Frederick said, "Two adults came off the front porch roof and passed the children down to the neighbors. The other two adults came from the first floor."
The woman who stayed on the first floor has been taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation and is believed to be in the trauma unit. The three other adults inside have also been taken to the hospital, one with an ankle injury. We are told the children went with their grandmother.
The firefighters say they believe the house was being rented. The second floor is not very badly damaged -- they had to cut a hole for ventilation, and it will likely not be a total loss.
Firefighters are still bringing possible flammable items out of the house to try and make sure it doesn't rekindle. They said there was not a whole lot of furniture on the first floor, but they just want to take precautions.