Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
D.I.Y. Louisville's Julee Lair and Elizabeth "Craft E." MaGee help us with some fun winter crafts. Julee Lair found a great way to turn a $3 thrift store buy into a nifty leather bracelet at one of their accessory swaps. Elizabeth "Craft E." MaGee sent us the easy directions for making some cool, inexpensive beaded earrings.
Julee didn't purchase the $3 leather skirt to wear, instead she decided to repurpose it. She used the directions from the website Oh The Lovely Things.
- A piece of leather, approx. 22cm x 10cm (approx. 8.7" x 4")
- Leather glue or super glue
- A snap button
1. Cut an oval piece of leather, approx. 22cm x 10cm (approx. 8.7" x 4"). You can make it longer or smaller, depending on the size of your wrist.
2. Form a bow.
3. Secure the bow by wrapping thread around it and knot.
4. Cut a small rectangle of leather, approx. 4cm x 1cm / 1.6" x 0.4"
5. Glue the small band of leather over the thread.
6. Sew the snap button, one part of the button at one end of the leather, and the other at the other side.
Elizabeth "Craft E." MaGee says beaded earrings are a lot of fun to make and don't cost a lot of money.
-Beads (Glass beads are very pretty)
-Thin jewelry wire (I used 24 and 26 Gage wires)
-Needle nose pliers
1. Select two identical sets of beads for your earrings, so that they match.
2. Clip 2 pieces of a few inches of wire (one for each earring).
3. Slide your selected bottom bead onto the wire.
4. Slide the next bead onto the wire.
5. Slide the earring hook onto the wire.
6. Bend the right side of the wire down.
7. Bring the right side of the wire back through the beads.
8. Twist or coil the wire at the bottom on the beads (tightening to hold the beads in place).
9. Make sure the coil looks attractive and is durable. I usually coil one side of the wire all the way around the bottom and leave the other side hanging.
10. Clip off the excess wire.
12. Make the matching earring and you're finished!