Saturday, May 18 2013 7:54 AM EDT2013-05-18 11:54:38 GMT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Longtime golf commentator and 1964 U.S. Open champion Ken Venturi died today, and there's nearly no need to add to the tributes that surely will come, because there's a greatMore >>
Ken Venturi left a lasting memory in Louisville when he opened Hunting Creek Country Club's championship course with a record that still stands, and with a simple gesture to a sportswriter 25 years later.More >>
Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
MEMPHIS, Ind. (WDRB) -- A southern Indiana family's dream home has burned to the ground. Firefighters call it a total loss, but the family sees it differently since six people inside escaped.
Matt McAfee said, "We were in bed asleep, alarm went off...the attic was in flames, and I ran back to the bedroom." Trisha McAfee explained, "I yelled at him to go get my daughter that was downstairs and my mother, and just ran."
The McAfees built their dream home several years ago on Cronewood Lane in Memphis, Indiana. All that's left is a piece of brick facade, crumbled in the middle and charred everywhere else.
The couple woke up before four Friday morning to their smoke detector going off.
Trisha McAfee said, "You know sometimes your fire alarm will beep-beep-beep. I don't know, we just both rushed up instantly and ran."
Matt McAfee said, "By the time we got out of the house -- black smoke -- quick, never seen anything burn that quick."
Trisha McAfee said, "It was instant flames and the flames just kept getting worse and worse."
Sellersburg Fire Chief Boyce Adams says the smoke detector might have saved their lives: "This one here, if there wouldn't have been something that woke them up -- tragic outcome."
Trisha McAfee said, "I just thank the good Lord above that I've got my family. I can live with this. I can hold my babies, so I'm okay."
Firefighters had trouble getting water to the massive fire. Tanker trucks had to fill up about a mile away.
Trisha McAfee said, "You know, we live out in the country, it's unfortunate, but you just don't think about it 'til it happens to you."
The family has started to think about all they have lost. We could pick out a smoldering motorcycle in the rubble, a car burned to a crisp, and the remnants of a television.
Matt McAfee said, "You know, TV, stuff like that doesn't mean anything -- pictures, kids trophies."
Trisha McAfee said, "My cousin was here and her hand was right there, I just immediately lost it. my wedding rings were inside."
It's not the family's first fall with fire. Trisha's beauty salon burned down along with a shopping plaza and bowling alley in Sellersburg three years ago. She never imagined it would happen to her home: "I've got my husband, my mom and my kids, this stuff can be replaced."