Health & Wellness Diabetes Health Care Solutions In-Store Event
At ALL Meijer stores on Saturday, March 9th from 11am to 3pm
The in-store event will include:
Ø Diabetes-friendly food/product sampling
Ø FREE Meijer Healthy Living Naturally booklet containing information on Managing diabetes, exercise tips and recipes (Meijer Healthy Living Naturally Booklet - Top 13 Power Foods For Diabetes)
Ø FREE Glucose Testing in Pharmacy
Ø FREE Diabetes health information, including an American Diabetes Association Health Risk Assessment test
Ø FREE diabetic friendly PUR Gum samples
Diabetes, is a group of diseases characterized by high blood sugar levels that result from defects in the body's ability to produce and/or use insulin. Nearly 24 million Americans live with diabetes and 57 million are not far behind with pre-diabetes.
How can Meijer help?
Diabetes is a very dangerous disease and it is expensive to manage successfully. As part of our commitment to health Meijer offers the following solutions:
· Our specially trained Diabetes Care Pharmacist can assist with questions
· Meijer has a newly expanded Diabetes Care section located at the front of Pharmacy.
· FREE Metformin Immediate Release (up to 100 tablets per fill, as prescribed by your doctor).
½ lb. Meijer Whole Grain Spaghetti
1 tbsp. sesame seed oil
1 (16 oz.) bag Meijer Frozen Stir-Fry Vegetables
2 cups Meijer Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
½ cup Meijer Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan heat sesame oil. Add stir-fry vegetables; cook and stir 4 minutes.
3. Add chicken, pasta and soy sauce. Cook 2 to 4 minutes until heated through.
Nutrition information per serving: 310 calories, 8g fat, 2g saturated fat, 48mg cholesterol, 895mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 20g protein.
Source: Meijer Healthy Living Naturally March/April 2013.
Bunny Pear Salad
Yield: 4 Servings
Red lettuce leaves
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) pear halves, drained
12 dried currants or raisins
8 whole almonds
4 baby carrots
4 parsley sprigs
Whipped cream in a can or low-fat cottage cheese
· Arrange lettuce on four salad plates; place a pear half cut side down on each plate. For eyes, insert two currants at narrow end of pear; add one currant for nose. For ears, insert almonds upright behind eyes.
· With a sharp knife, cut a small hole at one end of each carrot; insert a parsley sprig for carrot top. Place under bunny's nose. For tail, spray a small mound of whipped cream at the wide end of each pear. Yield: 4 servings.
Source: Taste of Home. Originally published as Bunny Pear Salad in Simple & Delicious <http://www.tasteofhome.com/rd.asp?id=13476> March/April 2007, p14.
To access the weekly menu, click here.