Minnesota bought former UK coach Tubby Smith out of his contract on Monday for $2.5 million.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Putting a ribbon on the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament by rolling through Ten Telling Quotes:
1. Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, asked if he had any indication that his job was in trouble after the Gophers exited the tournament with a 14-point loss to Florida Sunday:
"No," Smith said. "Thank you."
According to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, Smith was bought out of his contract for $2.5 million on Monday.
2. Dr. Steve Ahlfeld, team doctor for the Indiana University basketball team, on his first trip back to Dayton Arena since 1975, when he was a member of the top-ranked and unbeaten IU team that was upset in a regional final.
"I'd never been back inside this building and I wasn't sure I wanted to come back," Ahlfeld said. "This sure feels a lot better (after the Hoosiers won two games in Dayton)."
3. Louisville guard Russ Smith, talking about what he's learned while playing basketball at Louisville:
"I've learned since being at the University of Louisville nothing matters but winning and when you win, you become a winner. So winning has been the only thing that's been driving me to play well."
4. Oregon forward Arsalan Kazemi, the rebounding force (45 boards in his last 3 games) that Louisville will have to deal with Friday night in Indianapolis:
"It's a big stage. Some players try to come and show people what they can and what they can't do. I said I can help my team with my rebounding, and I'm going to go out and get as many rebounds as possible."
5. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim about the importance of fan turnout. The Orange will play Indiana Thursday night in the East Regional semifinals in Washington, D.C. Both schools have large pockets of alums in the area:
"When you're playing in this tournament and you're playing somebody who gets the fan base there, for whatever reason, you know, it's difficult to overcome that, it really is."
Tickets for the Thursday session at the Verizon Center are listed at $190 to nearly $4,000 on StubHub.com
6. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo on both Michigan schools being part of the four-team Big Ten contingent in the Sweet 16:
"I'm pulling for all the Big Ten teams. That means I was pulling for Michigan … Thank God they're going to a different region so we don't have to worry about playing another Big Ten team right away."
7. Ole Miss forward Murphy Holloway, on the end of the Rebels' NCAA run against LaSalle:
"Like I told my guys in the locker room, there wasn't another group of guys, coaches that I'd rather make this run with. Proud of my team, proud of the younger guys, proud of the staff, just the whole Rebel Nation stand behind us."
8. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, about what he wasn't asked:
"I want to thank all of you. You didn't ask one question about Florida Gulf Coast tonight, and I appreciate that. God bless you."
9. Florida Gulf Coast's Brett Comer about the media love his school has received for being the first 15-seed to make the Sweet 16:
"I mean, the media thing has been kind of crazy since the Georgetown game, after winning that. There's plenty of fake Sherwood Browns (a teammate) out there. Everybody wants to be Sherwood Brown."
10. Indiana coach Tom Crean, who asked the Temple players if he could talk to them on the court as they huddled after IU's 58-52 victory:
"I haven't always been great after the end of games, but that one I did because they just happened to be standing there, and they were all there together, and I have‑‑ those kids‑‑ those young men don't know me, and I really don't know them, but I have unbelievable respect for them because I have great respect for their coach. I just told them that they were as tough a team as we had seen all year."