LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Churchill Downs has announced higher security measures and expanded screening policies for patrons who will be attending the 139th Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks.
According to a press release, Churchill Downs has revised its policies and procedures that were originally issued on April 12, outlining the items that are banned from the track on those days. The new policies -- developed after consultations with several law enforcement authorities following the events of the Boston Marathon bombings -- are listed below.
The following items will not be permitted for carry-in for the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks Day:
1) Coolers (Styrofoam coolers and ice will be available for purchase infield)
2) Cans, glass bottles or containers
4) Cameras with detachable lenses
5) Cameras with lenses more than six inches in length
7) Purses larger than 12 inches in any dimension
8) Pop up and patron tents, no poles or stakes of any kind
10) Alcoholic beverages
13) Luggage (includes briefcases)
14) Duffel bags
17) Weapons (including knives)
19) Noisemakers and air horns
20) Laser lights and pointers
21) Mace, pepper spray or other personal defense sprays.
Items permitted for carry-in by patrons on Oaks and Derby Days include:
1) Purses, but none larger than 12 inches in any dimension (all subject to search);
2) Baby/diaper bags – Only if accompanied by a child (all subject to search);
3) Small cameras, but none equipped with detachable lenses or lenses more than 6 inches;
4) Food items in clear plastic bags (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags – limit of two bags per person);
5) "Box" lunches in clear plastic bags or containers (maximum size 18" X 18" - no trash bags);
6) Sunscreen (non-glass containers only);
7) Small personal music systems, radios and televisions (no boomboxes)
8) Cellular telephones, smartphones and tablets (patrons may be required to turn devices on);
10) Seat cushions (without back);
11) Strollers (ONLY if carrying a child);
12) Chairs (Gate 3 ONLY);
13) Blankets & Tarpaulins (Gates 1 & 3 ONLY).
Copyright 2013 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.