Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Since job security is hard to find. These days we have to create our own financial stability by building multiple sources of incomes. That can mean taking on freelance work, starting up our own businesses, or pursuing a potentially lucrative hobby. Financial expert Mark Lamkin from Lamkin Wealth Services says with the average worker now holding 10 different jobs before age 36, the only way to guarantee a little bit of continuity is to take matters into our own hands.
Here are some ways to get started:
1. Craigslist: Check out Craigslist.org. Craigslist isn't just a great way to find secondhand furniture. The postings can also be a source of entrepreneurial inspiration. People offer all kinds of services, from woodworking lessons to French tutorials. The postings might give you some ideas for what kind of services you could offer yourself. You can always test the market by posting an ad and seeing who responds.
2. Teach: Teach your passion. Maybe it's yoga, or perhaps art. Whatever it is, find out where you can teach it. Local community centers, gyms and colleges are often looking for new teachers. Don't forget private middle and high schools. They are often looking for part time teachers with real experience.
3. EBay: I noticed two employees unloading a large shipment onto an end cap labeled 75% off. They were all Guitar Hero games with the guitar. And it came to me. I could sell those! They are 75% off, I jumped on my cell phone, went to eBay.com, and looked up the completed listings. A big smile came on my face as soon as I saw that they were going for about $75 more then what I could buy them for. I quickly stuffed six of them into my cart. That started it all! That month I made over $2,000 profit! And it just snowballed! I now know the power of eBay! People will buy anything on eBay. It was up to me to make sure I could sell it to them and still make money.
4. Franchise: Start a small business. If you're serious about launching a gardening service, or a dogwalking business don't reinvent the wheel.
5. Consult: Take your job experience and contacts and begin consulting on the side! Many retirees do this and make up to $5,000 per month. Always ok with your current employer. If you're an architect, designer, HR, healthcare. Your skills can be used by other firms and the pay could be very lucrative.