POLICE: 8-year-old girl among victims in Gardiner Lane Shooting - WDRB 41 Louisville News

POLICE: 8-year-old girl among victims in Gardiner Lane Shooting

Posted: Updated:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Chilling threats from the man who police say killed his 8-year-old daughter and ex-girlfriend show he followed through on his deadly promises.

The warning signs are all laid out in police records made available Thursday.  Jillian Wood said Gary Stewart threatened to kill her before, even putting a gun to her head.

Police now say the young boy heard screaming for help just after the shooting was the shooter's 12-year-old son, who escaped without injury.  Lt. Todd Kessinger with the Louisville Metro Police Dept. said Thursday, "The suspect's uncle and son fled through the condo complex and were asking witnesses to call police."

Authorities say 40-year-old Gary Stewart opened fire at his uncle's condo, and planned his deadly attack on what was supposed to be a fun day for the family.  Kessinger explains, "They had gone to the uncle's place to go swimming, to use the pool, and he had brought the weapon with him and hid it until that point."

Police say Stewart killed his ex-girlfriend, 36-year-old Jillian Wood, and his daughter, 8-year-old Shelby Stewart, before turning the gun on himself.  Kessinger said, "The mother and the uncle tried to confront him and stop it from happening, and that's when the mother was shot."

The suspect's mother remains in critical condition, while neighbors of the two victims are shocked.  Cheryl Wolse said, "They were great neighbors, the little girl, Shelby, she played with my daughter. And they were just exceptionally nice people."

Criminal records obtained by WDRB show that Stewart had an extensive criminal past.  Woods had filed a Domestic Violence Order against Stewart in January of 2010, telling police she was terrified he would kill her.  She said Stewart told her: "I'll find out where you live. I'll put a bullet in your head and leave you in a ditch where nobody will find you."

That Domestic Violence order, which also ordered Stewart to turn over his gun, expired February 1st.

To add to Stewart's history, in 2011, he was charged with assault for punching a 19-year-old girl in the face at University hospital.  He did not know the young woman and told police he thought the woman was his wife.


Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.