Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB)---Around 11:30 Sunday morning, the fire department was called to Old Veechdale Road in Simpsonville after reports of a strong chlorine odor.
A Hazmat team found chlorine bubbling out of the ground.
They weren't sure where it was coming from or the severity of the leak, so residents were asked to temporarily stay in their homes.
"We suspect from back in the 50's when the city used to get their water out of the old lake that there was an old treatment plant right at the end of the dam there, and we suspect that they buried a couple of chlorine cylinders, and we suspect that one of them is probably leaking," says Simpsonville Mayor Steve Eden.
Simpsonville's Mayor, Steve Eden, says there is no health hazard to residents, and they never had to be evacuated.
He says a crew plans to dig up the chlorine cylinder Monday morning.