CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Ohio man convicted of keeping women captive and raping them for over a decade gets life without parole.

Ariel Castro apologized to his victims, but also claims most of the sex was consensual.  Castro says he isn't a monster. He says he's sick and addicted to pornography. He says he didn't even plan the first kidnapping.

He says he knows what he did was wrong, but that he's not a violent person and that his captives asked for sex and weren't tortured.

The women described horrific conditions in the home, which Castro turned into a jury-rigged prison.

Castro spoke during his sentencing hearing Thursday.  The 53-year-old Castro pleaded guilty last week to 937 counts.