POLICE: Man found with five BB guns at JCPS school
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Louisville school was placed on lockdown Friday afternoon after police say a man was found on school property with five BB guns.
According to an arrest report, it happened at Kenwood Elementary School, just east of the intersection of New Cut Road and 3rd Street Road shortly before 1:30 p.m.
Police say officers were dispatched to the school after they got a report that a man was walking on school property with a handgun and pointing it around the area.
A 10-year-old student told his teacher, according to police, and the assistant principal spotted the suspect.
Katie Williams, the Vice Principal of Kenwood Elementary, feared her school could be the site of the next massacre.
"I saw a young man walking to the playground here," she said. "And he was watching the kids sitting down."
He was the same man Williams had seen on the playground and had sent away just the day before.
"So I radioed the teacher and said, 'keep an eye out for this young man,'" Williams said. "At that point one of the students went over to the teacher and said they thought he had a gun."
The 5th grader's words stirred immediate action.
The school was placed on lockdown, as the suspect, "caused alarm to the public and the entire school," according to the report.
Full lockdown means teachers scurried kids away from the windows, sitting in silence in school as police swarm outside.
Police eventually stopped and arrested 19-year-old Dijon L. Gaines. He allegedly had five BB guns on his person at the time of his arrest.
He was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing. Both are misdemeanors.
"Nobody knows now whether a gun is real or not," lamented Dwight Mitchell, a spokesman for the Louisville Metro Police Department. "I believe the way they're manufactured now they all look a certain way."
"We'll never know what his intent was," Williams said. "Maybe it was nothing, but better be safe than sorry."
The school just had a lockdown drill last month. Williams says Friday proved they passed the test.
"It's okay to overreact when it comes to the safety of 600 kids," she said.
Copyright 2013 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.