Louisville man freed after five years in jail because of DNA tes - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Louisville man freed after five years in jail because of DNA testing arrested again

Posted: Updated: Oct 3, 2013 04:47 PM EDT

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- Carlos Lagantta spent nearly five years in jail waiting for trial in the slaying of a woman in August 2007 before the murder and robbery charges were finally dropped a year ago because of a lack of evidence, with prosecutors saying, however, that they still believed he was involved.

Now, Lagantta is back in Metro Corrections, accused of shooting two people during a home invasion on Monday.

Lagantta pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of robbery, burglary and two counts of assault. He is lodged in Metro Corrections on a $50,000 cash bond and will be back in court on Oct. 11.

His attorney, Nicholas Neumann, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Lagantta's murder case became highly publicized last year when DNA evidence from under murder victim Tina Tatro's fingernails did not match Lagantta, but instead a man she had a relationship with who was a key witness against Lagantta.

Lagantta was accused of stabbing Tatro to death in August 2007.

In August 2012, Lagantta walked out of Jefferson Circuit Court a free man after prosecutors reluctantly dropped murder and robbery charges against him.

Lagantta, who has other felony convictions, pleaded guilty to tampering with physical evidence and third degree burglary, for stealing items from Tatro's home. He was sentenced to three years, which he had already served. The rest of the almost five years Lagantta spent in jail was credited to another case in which he had violated his parole.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Leland Hulbert said at the time that prosecutors believed Lagannta was involved in the murder but didn't believe they could prove it at trial, given the DNA results.

On Tuesday, Hulbert said it was unlikely Lagantta would be re-indicted in the murder case unless he confessed.

On Monday, according to a police report, Lagantta forced one victim into a home in the 1600 block of Northwestern Parkway took her cell and demanded any guns. When he took the first victim upstairs, Lagantta and another man in the home got into a shootout, with all three people being struck, according to a police report.

Lagantta later called 911 to report he had been shot and was arrested at University Hospital, in part based on the description given to police of the shooter.

Copyright 2013 WDRB News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.