2002 court documents raise uncle as possible suspect in Jessica - WDRB 41 Louisville News

2002 court documents raise uncle as possible suspect in Jessica Dishon murder

Posted: Updated:

SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- When Stanley Dishon was indicted Wednesday for the kidnap and murder of his niece, Jessica, he was already behind bars on a rape and sodomy charge -- and it was not the first time.

WDRB looked through the thick file of a 2002 case, in which he entered an Alford plea to charges that he sexually abused his daughter and step-daughter.

The documents reveal that Dishon's then-wife Carol, told a social worker that Dishon had been "significantly affected" by Jessica's murder three years earlier.

Carol Dishon also said her ex-husband, Gary Eldridge, had questioned Stanley Dishon's "possible role in the murder, and that had increased tensions between the two families."

It's not clear whether the comments made their way to those investigating Jessica's murder.

Bullitt Co. Sheriff Dave Greenwell, who was a rookie deputy at the time, could not say why Stanley Dishon was never questioned as a suspect.

"I don't think anybody had ever, according to the case file that we had, he had never been talked to," said Greenwell.

When a reporter asked why, Greenwell said, "I'm not sure. I wasn't here."

But court documents show the case was an issue among Stanley Dishon's family. A social worker noted that "the family acknowledged but did not actively discuss the effects of the sexual assault and murder of Mr. Dishon's niece."

While Dishon would eventually agree to a plea deal in the sexual abuse case, investigators were pursuing other suspects in Jessica's case, including David "Bucky" Brooks.

But Brook's attorney, John Spainhour, says Stanley Dishon was on the radar screen because he had been living in Jessica's home.

"He was there and known to have been living there. Mr. Brooks and other members of the Brooks family, who were neighbors, knew that he had been living there," said Spainhour.

But, Spainhour says it's impossible to know what might have happened, if investigators had more quickly picked up the trail leading to Stanley Dishon.

"And I don't know if it had gone on whether it would have led back to where it ultimately has led now," he said.

Michael Mann, who was the Bullitt Commonwealth's Attorney then and now, has not returned phone calls seeking comment about the investigation.

WDRB's Jason Riley has a more in-depth look at the documents here.

Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

  • Closed CaptioningMore>>

  • Closed Captioning Message

    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.
    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.