Documents reveal new details in fatal pawn shop shootings - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Documents reveal new details in fatal pawn shop shootings

Posted: Updated:

DANVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- New information has surfaced which police say led to the arrest of a Pulaski County minister accused of murdering three people in Danville last month.

Court documents revealed more details of the history between Kenneth Keith and former business associates he is accused of killing.  Investigators received an anonymous tip from a man who knew Keith and the victims.  That caller told police Keith spoke to him about the murders of Michael and Angela Hockensmith and Daniel Smith just days after the crimes.  The three were found shot to death on Sept. 20, 2013.

The caller told a detective that the Burnside minister accounted for his whereabouts on Sept. 20 without being asked.  He said Keith volunteered a scenario of the crimes to him and said it could have been a "hit" on Smith.  Keith reportedly told him that the gold broker was known to do business at the ABC Gold Games and More pawn shop, where the murders took place.  The caller also said Keith told him Smith came to do business on Fridays, which was the day of the week the murders took place.

Keith reportedly said Smith was known to carry a briefcase full of tens of thousands of dollars. The caller also stated Keith also told him the Hockensmiths were not innocent and "cost him a lot of money" after a workman's compensation negligence issue.

Keith told the anonymous called from Michigan that he was not allowed to send condolences to the Hockensmith family because he was not allowed to contact them as part of the workman's compensation settlement.

Keith owned the King's Corner Pawn Gifts, which later became ABC Gold Games and More.  Hockensmith was one of Keith's employees at the store.  Official documents state Keith originally filed paperwork with the city to dissolve the business license for King's in May.  Keith cited it was an "illegal eviction" where the new owners changed locks behind him.  Although the document was listed as June 30, 2013, Keith did not sign the document until Aug. 15, 2013. 

The caller reported Keith says the couple became the new co-owners of the shop after a deal he had with co-owner Steve Devine went sour.  While the 48-year-old has no criminal history, Keith has been sued several times since 2010.  He has several civil judgments filed against him totaling more than $100,000.  He is accused of murder and robbery.

Keith is scheduled to be arraigned in Boyle County on Oct. 16 at 9 a.m.  Keith's family members have told us in the past they believe he is innocent.

Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

  • Closed CaptioningMore>>

  • Closed Captioning Message

    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.
    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.