Being a diabetic doesn't mean you are stuck eating tasteless food. In fact, you can have great food that's unexpected and exciting. Meijer Healthy Living Advisor Janine Faber explains why her recipe for baked ziti with pumpkin & sausage is a good option. Meijer is also hosting a special event to help diabetics manage their blood sugar levels.
Diabetes Health Care Solution Event: Saturday, November 9th from 11am to 3pm at all Meijer stores
The event will feature:
·Demonstrations of food/product that is diabetic friendly
·FREE Meijer Healthy Living Naturally booklet containing information on Managing diabetes, exercise tips and recipes
·FREE Glucose Testing in Pharmacy
·FREE Diabetes health information, including an American Diabetes Association Health Risk Assessment test
·FREE AmLactin trial size lotion
Every day, Meijer offers the following for our customers with diabetes:
·Our specially trained Diabetes Care Pharmacist can assist with questions
·Meijer has a Diabetes Care section located at the front of Pharmacy.
·FREE Metformin Immediate Release (up to 100 tablets per fill, as prescribed by your doctor).
Pumpkin: The carotenoids that give pumpkins their signature orange color are powerful antioxidants that protect health, especially during cold and flu season. As well as having a good amount of vitamin C, potassium, fiber, manganese and folate, pumpkins are also a source of Omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins and copper.
Baked Ziti with Pumpkin & Sausage
Yields: 12 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
4 cups (12 oz.) dry regular or whole-wheat ziti
1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
4 links (12 oz.) fully-cooked Italian-seasoned chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 pkg. (6 oz.) or about 4 cups pre-washed baby spinach
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded part-skim or 2% milk reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (1.5 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
1. PREHEAT oven to 425º F. Spray 4-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. PREPARE pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and set aside for later use. Drain pasta; return to cooking pot.
3. MEANWHILE, COMBINE pumpkin, flour, garlic powder, salt, nutmeg and cayenne pepper in medium skillet over medium heat. Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken slightly. Pour over pasta in pot. Add sausage and reserved pasta cooking water; stir well.
4. SPREAD half of the pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with spinach. Cover with remaining pasta mixture. Lightly spray piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray. Cover ziti with foil, greased side down.
5. BAKE for 20 minutes or until heated through. Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in small bowl. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition information per serving: Serving Size: 1/12 servings of recipe: Calories 200, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 300mg, Carbohydrates 31g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 7g, Protein 12g, Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%. Source: Libby's.
Serve with: Mixed green salad
To access the weekly menu, CLICK HERE.