Cooking is a big part of the holidays. But it's not always easy to balance what's healthy and what's not. Meijer Healthy Living Advisor Janine Faber has some ideas from their upcoming Taste of the Holidays event. She's sharing recipes for Walnut-Herb Chicken Roulade and a sweet potato bruschetta.
Meijer Taste of the Holidays
Meijer Taste of the Holidays In-Store Event: Saturday, December 7th from 11am to 4pm at all Meijer stores
The event will provide:
· Holidays recipes and tips
· Holiday recipe booklet
For more recipe ideas, visit the "Taste of Christmas" Board on the Meijer Pinterest page.
Walnut-Herb Chicken Roulade
prep time: 15 minutes | cook time: 16 minutes | makes: 4 servings
4 (4- to 5-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
¼ cup finely chopped Meijer Walnuts, toasted
¼ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
1 tbsp. Meijer Classic Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place chicken on a cutting board. With the edge of the knife parallel to the board, cut down the length of the side of each breast almost (but not through) to the other edge, opening as you go. Then open the chicken like a book. Place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to a ¼-inch thickness. Season with pepper to taste; set aside.
2. For the filling, in a small bowl combine basil, thyme, oregano, walnuts and mozzarella.
3. To assemble the roulades, place one-fourth of herb mixture in the center of each breast; spread to within 1 inch of edges. Roll chicken up and over filling, tucking in filling to enclose. Tie with kitchen string or secure with toothpicks.
4. Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium-high heat. Add roulades; cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden. Place pan in oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F. Remove and discard string. Cut each roulade into slices, and serve.
Source: Meijer Taste of the Holidays booklet, 2013.
Appetizer: Sweet Potato Bruschetta
Asparagus or Strawberry Feta Salad or Roasted Brussel Sprouts
To access the weekly menu, visit www.meijermealbox.com/healthy-living