Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
NEW YORK (FOXNEWS) -- The Department of Justice and the Secret Service are now getting involved in the investigation of a possible breach of credit card data at Target.
Elizabeth Prann explains, that's not the only problem for the retailer.
The feds are now reportedly looking into the second largest theft of credit card information in U.S. history. Target announced on Monday that the Department of Justice is investigating the breach, which saw credit card information compromised for more than 40 million consumers.
The retailer also said they're teaming up with the Secret Service on their own investigation, and are working closely with state attorney general offices. And while the criminal investigation continues, Target finds itself facing at least four separate civil suits.So far:
"I think there is going to be many, many law suits," said Mark Heaney, a consumer rights attorney. "In the last few days, I've gotten about 8-10 calls from people who are concerned, legitimately concerned."
Legal experts say that concern is justified given the nature of the crime. Identity theft is difficult to prevent once personal information has been compromised -- and Target now finds itself in danger of being forced to pay millions of dollars to compensate the victims.
"With a credit card you could be, you know, using things all over the country," said Tad Nelson, a former prosecutor. "I've helped out a lot of people who have had their identity stolen. It is a mess. It's takes time, it takes money. Sky's the limit on the damages."
Target's parent company says business has been down since the breach, with the number of in-store transactions falling more than three percent on Saturday, which is usually one of the busiest shopping days of the year.