Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- With the colder weather, fire officials are asking you to take precautions.
They say they've been dealing with a number of fires from space heaters. Capt. Sal Melendez, with Louisville Fire and Rescue, tells us that for the last nine or 10 fires they've had, at least four were caused by space heaters.
While space heaters keep you warm when it's cold outside, you need to use them safely, so that they don't catch your home on fire.
Remember: they should only be a temporary source of heat.
Melendez recommends keeping the heaters away from items that could catch fire, and using heaters that have mechanisms inside that will turn the space heater off after a certain period of time, or if it tips over.
"And also on the electrical cord itself, some of them have a breaker, which means it will cut the power off to the heater itself, should there be a short," Melendez said.
He says you should never plug it into an outlet with other electrical devices.
And it's not only the space heaters you should worry about at this time of year.
"Of course it sounds obvious to keep warm, but some of the details of that would be especially the areas that are exposed: the ears, the face, maybe wrapping a scarf around them. Dressing in layers and making sure you have boots and warm socks on," says Dr. Soraya Nasraty with Norton Healthcare.
Doctor Soraya Nasraty says if you are getting a tingling sensation in your fingers or toes, get inside immediately and warm up, so that it doesn't become more serious than that, and lead to frostbite or hypothermia.
Fire officials are also warning you about carbon monoxide.
You should never bring heating or cooking equipment, like a grill, inside your home to provide heat.
Back in 2009 during an ice storm, this resulted in many deaths across the state.