Grandmother of three children killed in house fire speaks out - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Grandmother of three children killed in house fire speaks out

Posted: Updated:
Marie Clark, the grandmother of three children who died Saturday morning in a New Albany, Ind. house fire. Marie Clark, the grandmother of three children who died Saturday morning in a New Albany, Ind. house fire.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Three children died and one was hospitalized after a fire damaged a New Albany home. On Monday, Marie Clark, the kids' grandmother, opened up for the first time on how they died in that New Albany home.

"All I can say is, I can barely talk," Clark said. "I can barely breathe right now...three babies at one time...three beautiful, innocent babies at one time. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. The pain is unbearable."

Clark can describe the children all two well. There's Trinity Hughes, age 2. They called her "The Boss." Then there's Tyrese Hughes, age 4: a real momma's boy. And the big sister, Tai'zah, age 6.

It's the first time we're hearing from the family who lost three young children in the fire that ravaged a New Albany home early Saturday morning. Clark says her daughter, Teresa Hughes, took the kids to a friend's house to do laundry because their washing machine didn't work.
Clark says her daughter stepped outside for a cigarette with the friend as the kids slept in the bedroom.

She saw the smoke from the fire, but she says she thought it was a neighbor burning wood, and when she realized it wasn't, it was too late.

"I just couldn't fathom...why didn't you go into the flames anyway and try to save them?" Clark said. "Then she [Theresa] said she went to the windows to try to get in, and the neighbor said he heard her screaming, 'Help me get my babies out!'"

Five-year-old Taty'Ana Hughes is the only child to survive. She got out of the bedroom and firefighters rescued her near the front door. She was expected to undergo skin graft surgery Monday afternoon.

Still, Clark says she suffered burns over 20 percent of her body.

"The asthma saved her life," Clark said. "I know the smoke along with the asthma caused her to wake up."

Clark doesn't blame her daughter for the loss. Items to close to a space heater ignited the flames.

"You have to be as careful with these space heaters as you are with your own life, because they can take it," Clark said. "Take your life. Ruin your life. I don't know how I'm going to survive this."

Click HERE for information on how to donate to a fund for the family.

Copyright 2014 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.

  • Closed CaptioningMore>>

  • Closed Captioning Message

    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.
    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.