5-year-old New Albany girl who survived fire improving in hospit - WDRB 41 Louisville News

5-year-old New Albany girl who survived deadly fire improving in hospital

Posted: Updated:
5-year-old Taty'ana Hughes is improving at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis after a deadly fire killed her three siblings. 5-year-old Taty'ana Hughes is improving at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis after a deadly fire killed her three siblings.

NEW ALBANY, Ind. (WDRB) -- A 5-year-old southern Indiana girl, who survived a fire that killed her three siblings, is showing more signs of progress.

It's been two-and-a-half weeks since a fire ripped through a home on Ealy Street in New Albany, killing 6-year-old Tai'zah, 4-year-old Tyrese and 2-year-old Trinity Hughes.

Outside the home, snow covers items left behind to remember the three children, but the community hasn't forgotten.

"I'm so grateful. I don't know if we could have done this without everyone," said Marie Clark, the children's grandmother.

People have come together to support this family emotionally and financially, paying for the three funerals, as well as medical expenses for the 5-year-old survivor, Taty'ana Hughes.

Taty'ana was recently taken off a ventilator. After two surgeries, she continues to show signs of progress.

Taty'ana's family is calling her a miracle baby.

"Five years old and you stand there and watch and you wonder how can this little girl sustain all this and endure what she's enduring," said Clark.

Her family says they haven't told her about her siblings yet, but when they were mentioned, this is what Taty'ana had to say:

"She said, 'They're being mean to me. I want my own room'. When my daughter told me that a chill just went through me," said Clark.

Taty'ana is in a hospital room all by herself.

Her family believes her siblings are somehow getting her through this tough time.

Doctors at Riley Hospital say Taty'ana could still be there for at least two more months, or longer. Her family is optimistic.

"Just to watch her survive, to watch my daughter draw strength from her, and basically watch my daughter survive, gives us all hope," said Clark.

A fund was set up at Fifth Third Bank to help pay for funeral and medical expenses for this family.

Meanwhile, 18-year-old Cody Cashion was charged with arson, and  three counts of murder in the case, Jan. 14.

Authorities say he fired a flare gun into the home, which triggered the fire.

He's expected to appear before a judge soon. 

Copyright 2014 WDRB News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.