LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Some days are busier than others. Yesterday was a case in point here at WDRB Sports. Beginning with our weekly webcast and ending with a hit-and-run bus accident for the Bellarmine basketball team, we were hopping. Today's best-of-the web reviews all those stories.
1. SPORTS PAGE LIVE WEBCAST. Reminder to self, when you think you've left enough time to skirt around Louisville drivers on a snowy day, leave some more. Took nearly an hour to navigate some backed up roads into the studio, but made it in time for the webcast, which included a little of everything, hoops, college football and more. Watch it here.
2. BOZICH ON THE WOODEN AWARD FINALISTS. As a voter for the award, Rick Bozich had the jump for the local players included on the Wooden Award Top 25, finalists for the prestigious player of the year award.Read it here.
3. U OF L'S ACC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE, TRIPLE COVERAGE.
— It was big news when the Cardinals saw that they open the season at home against Miami on Monday night of Labor Day weekend and get defending national champion Florida State at home on a Thursday night. But is it the toughest schedule in U of L football history? In terms of likely ranked opponents, probably not. Read about it here.
— And finally, Petrino's standard practice of putting together game plans for all the next season's opponents during the offseason will be put to the test with a new conference affiliation. Read about his preparation plans here.
4. BOZICH WANTS TO BE A BILLIONAIRE, SO FREAKING BAD. I told you in this space yesterday about Warren Buffett's plan to back a $1 billion contest to reward a perfect NCAA Tournament bracket. Rick Bozich tells you how he plans to win it. I think he's serious. (Bozich did, by the way, correctly pick N.C. State over Houston. In the paper. Maybe he has a shot.) Read it here.
5. LOUISVILLE HOOPS POUNDS USF, NOW GETS JONES BACK. The Louisville men's basketball team slammed USF in Tampa Wednesday night. Its 39-point victory matched a school record for victory margin in a conference game. Now, it will welcome guard Chris Jones back to the team off an injury, and we get Rick Pitino's comments about what kind of adjustments the team might make. (Hint: It's Jones who will need to adjust a little.) Read it here.
6. BELLARMINE BUS IN HIT-AND-RUN ACCIDENT, NONE INJURED. The Bellarmine University basketball team was on its way to Wisconsin-Parkside when it was hit by a pickup truck and trailer just outside Chicago. Everybody's all right, according to head coach Scott Davenport. Read what he says here.
VIDEO OF THE DAY
Even the video of the day is in-house. You have to take three minutes and watch Steve Andress' video of Davenport, who wore a microphone throughout Bellarmine's overtime loss to Southern Indiana last Saturday. Great emotion, great sound. Watch it here.
OTHER WEB GEMS
Not all the interesting stuff was on WDRB.com yesterday. A few others of note.
1. Apparently Justin Bieber likes to drive fast after he's been drinking. The Internet has mild interest. Read it here.
2. Richard Pitino is impressing people at Minnesota. The Gophers beat Wisconsin last night. Read it here.
3. More bad injury luck for Syracuse. The No. 2-ranked Orange lose senior DaJuan Coleman to surgery. Details here.
4. I don't know why I think this is funny. What happens to American movies when their titles are converted (I won't say translated) into Spanish. Read it here.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
This should help you feel a bit warmer. The Reds Caravan stops in Louisville today at 5:30. Admission is free at Louisville Slugger Field.
I'm working on a story on what a colossal disaster the Sochi Winter Olympics could well turn out to be.
Bellarmine is at Wisconsin-Parkside tonight, men and women.
And tomorrow, the entire WDRB crowd will be shooting a promotional spot to air during Fox Sports' Super Bowl coverage. We'll share photos and details.
PHOTO OF THE DAY
This screen grab of Russ Smith and Terry Rozier at the end of Wednesday's USF win was a hit on Twitter, and emblematic of the team chemistry that's been building over the past couple of weeks. See it here.
Saturday, August 30 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-08-30 19:51:46 GMT
The University of Kentucky football team got some big plays from young players and a steady start from quarterback Patrick Towles to pound Tennessee-Martin 59-14 in their first season opener at home since 2007.More >>
The University of Kentucky football team got some big plays from young players and a steady start from quarterback Patrick Towles to pound Tennessee-Martin 59-14 in their first season opener at home since 2007. More >>
Tuesday, August 26 2014 10:16 PM EDT2014-08-27 02:16:12 GMT
Teddy Bridgewater says thank you to U of L students in an ad in its student paper. Eric Crawford photo.
Teddy Bridgewater had one more classy move for University of Louisville students and fans -- he said Thank You with an ad in the semester's first edition of The Louisville Cardinal student newspaper.More >>
Teddy Bridgewater had one more classy move for University of Louisville students and fans -- he said Thank You with an ad in the semester's first edition of The Louisville Cardinal student newspaper. More >>