Fire crews respond to fatal fire at Shepherdsville Days Inn - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Fire crews respond to fatal fire at Shepherdsville Days Inn

Posted: Updated:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - A 58-year-old woman died in a fire at the Days Inn in Shepherdsville on South Lakeview Dr. Sunday.

Authorities say Joy Davidson was found dead in her first floor motel room around 8:30 a.m.

Someone in the room next door called 9-1-1 and reported seeing smoke coming through the walls. When firefighters arrived, they realized the smoke was coming from a different room.

"They found the smoke in room 132 and then realized that 133 was the room that was on fire," said Shepherdsville Fire Chief Layne Troutman.

When they gained access to the room, fire fighters found the victim unresponsive on the floor.

"When they made entry they found the victim on the floor, pulled her out, performed CPR, transported her to the hospital, and we were later advised that she had passed from the fire," said Troutman.

Hotel owner Danny Patel said Davidson checked in Friday. She was placed there, he said, by one of Patel's regular customers--Shepherd's Shelter--a non-profit that helps find housing for the homeless.

"The police department brought her here to get her a room to help her out," he said. "She was out of a home and needed shelter."

Patel says he last heard from Davidson only hours before the fire.

"She called at 4 a.m. and she was looking for cigarettes and matches," he said. "She wanted to smoke."

With the mattress suffering the most damage, Patel believes Davidson fell asleep without putting out her cigarette.

The Kentucky Fire Marshal's office still hasn't determined a cause, but they don't believe it is suspicious.

Hotel guests didn't want to go on camera, but say in the last few days no one ever checked on her or paid her a visit.

One guest told WDRB they were appalled that protective services wasn't involved, as they believed the woman had been removed from her previous living situation.

"In this kind of situation, there should be somebody with her. And she was all alone," said Patel.

Bullitt County Coroner David Billings said preliminary test results show Davidson died from smoke inhalation. Full autopsy results should be available Monday.

Copyright 2014 WDRB News. Al rights reserved.

 

  • Closed CaptioningMore>>

  • Closed Captioning Message

    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.
    Thanks to a grant from Norton Healthcare, this story and others are available in real-time closed captioning on WDRB.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.