SHELBYVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A man who barricaded himself inside a Shelbyville home was killed in a shootout with police early Wednesday.

The suspect's identity was not immediately released.

According to a news release from Kentucky State Police, officers from the Shelbyville Police Department knocked on the door of the residence on Gray Hill Court around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday to serve a warrant out of Oldham County, but were met at the door by the suspect "brandishing a long gun."

That's when Shelbyville officers requested assistance, and Kentucky State Troopers and a SWAT team were called to the scene, while nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution.

Kentucky State Police say negotiators were unable to reach a peaceful resolution when talking to the man on the phone, but police say he told them he was not going to come out peacefully because he didn't want to go to jail.

Early Wednesday morning, police decided to move in and tried to get into the house. Police say the suspect fired multiple shots at officers, who returned fire, killing the suspect. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Shelbyville coroner.

Several police cars and nearby homes were hit during the gunfire in the final moments of the standoff, but no injuries were reported.

Neighbors told us they're glad police ordered nearby residents to leave their homes.

"They told us they had a situation going on that was dangerous, and that they had to evacuate everybody in the neighborhood that was anywhere close to that guy's duplex," said Clay Williams, who lives nearby.

One family had nowhere to go so they hunkered down in the back of their home, which is across the street from the duplex where the man was killed.

"We were all in the back of the house, laying down on the floor," said Jason Bruner. "And the only thing going through my head was to keep my family safe."

"It got really, really quiet," said Deana Bruner. "And then about midnight, it sounded like beanbag fire and they were trying to get into the house -- I didn't go check. And then about 1 o'clock, shots started flying for about five or six minutes, back and forth."

Officials were still investigating and gathering evidence at the scene just before noon, meaning some residents were unable to return to their home.

Police have not released the man's name or details of the misdemeanor warrant issued for his arrest.

Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All Rights Reserved.