Oldham Co. bus driver, monitor resign after child left alone on - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Oldham Co. bus driver, monitor resign after child left alone on bus

Posted: Updated:
OLDHAM COUNTY, Ky. (WDRB) -- Two people in Oldham County are without a job Wednesday night, after a five-year-old boy was left alone on a hot school bus for several hours.

Before this happened, the district’s preschool only called parents if a child didn't show up two days in a row. Now, after the incident, it will call every time a student is absent.

"We take responsibility for this error. It is unacceptable," said Oldham County Schools Superintendent Will Wells, speaking about Monday’s incident in which a five-year-old boy with special needs was left alone on the bus. He wasn't found until his mom went to pick him up at preschool.

"It is a definitely a very serious situation and we are glad the student is safe and doing well," said Wells.

When a bus compound worker found the boy, he was still buckled in four hours after his dad said he got on the bus. Three of those hours were spent alone, and police say the temperature inside was nearly 90 degrees. Kentucky state law requires drivers to check for students before they leave.

"It's part of the job description and expectation that monitors and drivers check every seat on the bus,” said Wells. “Under the seat, every seat, to make sure that no students are on board and unfortunately that didn't happen this time."

The driver, Gregory Clickner, and monitor, Sharon Machi, have both resigned. The school would not say if they left on their own or were asked to step down. Clickner’s been with the district since November 2012, and Machi was hired in September of 2010.

Wells said the two were very apologetic. “They admitted that they did not clear the bus as they've been trained to do and they felt horrible and have since resigned."

Oldham County Police is now investigating too, to see if anything criminal happened. Police say the school never called them or EMS, and when officers arrived, school officials said they would handle the matter internally and police were no longer needed.

"You know we have our information and we're working with the Oldham County Police Department to make sure we all have the same information," remarked Wells. He says because of what happened, the preschool has already made some changes.

"As a result of this incident the policy has changed,” said Wells. “Beginning the following day on Tuesday, it is now the preschool's policy to notify parents each day their child is absent."

The boy’s parents have hired an attorney, but right now, he's not commenting on if they plan to file a lawsuit.

Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.