Two-month-old declared legally dead after alleged abuse - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Two-month-old declared legally dead after alleged abuse

Posted: Updated:
Juan Lopez Rosales (Source: Louisville Metro Corrections) Juan Lopez Rosales (Source: Louisville Metro Corrections)
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A 2-month-old baby remains on life support at Kosair Children's Hospital while a battle continues in court over his future.

Police say Juan Lopez Rosales hit his son's head against a bathtub, fracturing his skull.

The hospital declared the child dead yesterday morning, but the family filed a restraining order to prevent him from being removed from life support.

Attorney Leslie Bates says the family wants more time to allow the child to recover.

A hearing on the case is scheduled for July 14.

Louisville Metro Police say Rosales waited days before getting proper medical treatment for his infant child, despite the fact that his child had suffered a skull fracture.

According to an arrest report, Rosales, along with the child's mother, brought the infant to the Norton Immediate Care Center with life-threatening injuries on June 29. He was immediately taken to Kosair Children's Hospital in "full arrest."

Police say the hospital staff told them the child suffered a skull fracture and was not expected to survive his injuries.

At first, Rosales gave no explanation for the injuries, telling officers that he found the child on the sofa shaking with his eyes rolled into the back of his head.

But police say he later admitted that days earlier -- on June 24 -- he struck the child's head against the bathtub while bathing him.

The child then began showing signs of distress -- including decreased appetite, excessive crying and lethargy -- according to police, but instead of getting proper medical care, Rosales chose not to tell anyone about the injury, including the child's mother.

Police say on June 26 and 27, Rosales took the child to various locations to receive medical treatment, but stopped doing so because those facilities "asked too many questions" or were "too far away." Rosales also allegedly told police that he tried to provide medical care on his own.

Rosales was arrested on Monday morning and charged with first-degree criminal abuse.

The Louisville Metro Police Homicide Unit is still investigating.

Copyright 2014 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.