Dejuan Hammond case should be dismissed, lawyers say - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Dejuan Hammond case should be dismissed, lawyers say

Posted: Updated:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The lawyer for one of Louisville's most notorious murder suspects is trying to get the judge to dismiss his case.

Lawyers for Dejuan Hammond were asking that the case be thrown out, but it looks like the judge won't make a ruling, at least until next week.

Hammond's attorney says that for the second time, prosecutors hid information, and he believes his client has not had a fair trial. Ted Shouse wanted the judge to dismiss the case with prejudice, saying new evidence was just handed over six weeks before his client's third trial.

Hammond was indicted in 2009 for allegedly hiring someone to kill Troya Sheckles, who was the key witness in his brother's murder trial.

The new evidence, which was presented just last week, includes 24 pages of discovery, eight of which are blank. There's also a mislabeled video interview and an investigative letter from a man who claimed he killed Sheckles.

Commonwealth's Attorney Thomas Wine testified Friday that some of the evidence turned over includes an interview with Hammond's girlfriend that favors Hammond, and it appears it was withheld on purpose.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Dorislee Gilbert says, "These documents, most of which, all of which, are not materially exculpatory have been provided more than six weeks before the trial date. Much of this evidence is related to evidence that was already disclosed."

"This stuff is five years old judge -- and we're just getting it now," said Hammond's attorney, Ted Shouse. "If they've got a report dated 2014, I won't object...I might not object to one dated 2013. But 2009? And she stands here and says, 'Well, we might find something new.' They're not finding anything new judge. They're finding the stuff that's good for us."

The trial is set to start in August.

The prosecution has until Monday to file a response and the judge will rule on the dismissal after that.

Meanwhile, the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office is doing its own internal investigation as to why some evidence wasn't handed over until five years later.

Copyright 2014 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.