JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (WDRB) -- A Jeffersonville man was hospitalized with severe burns after an apartment fire late Monday.
Crews were called to the Executive House apartments in the 800 block of Howard Avenue just after 10 o'clock Monday night. Theresa Pascual says her 70-year-old father was able to walk out on his own, but was taken to University Hospital in Louisville for treatment.
One firefighter was also hospitalized after a ceiling collapsed on him; he was taken to University Hospital where he was treated and released.
Pascual says friends told her that her father had been taken to the hospital.
"I tried to call his house and it was busy, so I tried to call other places and they are the ones that told me he was in the hospital," Pascual said. He's in critical condition, he is completely burned all around his head, on his neck, chest, both his arms and halfway down his back. It's very emotional because he's always been a strong, strong man."
Firefighters also rescued an elderly couple trapped in the the burning building.
Steve Wickline told us he and his wife were overcome with smoke when firefighters came to their rescue.
"So I went over there and opened up our windows, trying to breathe," Wickline said. "Everybody said, 'get out! get out!' And I said 'we can't because we're trapped up in here.' Ten minutes later, here come the fire truck ... they got her out of the window, they got me out through the front door and down the steps. The guy told me, he said 'just hold on and I'll get you out safely.'"
Jeffersonville Fire Chief Eric Hedrick says Pascual's father's apartment suffered the most damage - but did not say if that's where the fire started.
Pascual says she believes it started in her dad's unit.
"I know that the fire started in his apartment, and that he had walked out of the apartment and out to the front porch on his own," Pascual said.
Fire officials say 16 families are now displaced, and the Red Cross is assisting those who don't have a place to stay.
The cause of the fire was not immediately determined, but fire officials tell us they don't believe it is suspicious.