TSA seizing more guns at Louisville International Airport
TSA officials are seeing a large increase in firearms discoveries at the Louisville International Airport (SDF) security checkpoint.
Tuesday, August 19th 2014, 3:29 pm EDT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) --The number of guns confiscated at Louisville airport's security has more than doubled in a year's time.
That's according to TSA spokesman Mark Howell.
For the first six months of 2013, TSA officials at SDF discovered five firearms at the security checkpoint. During the same time period in 2014, a total of ten were found.
When TSA discovers a firearm, local police are immediately notified. They take possession of the firearm and determine if the passenger will be cited or arrested on local charges.
Firearm discoveries are up nationwide, with 163 more firearms being found in the first half of 2014, compared to the same period in 2013.
While firearms may be transported in checked baggage (provided they are declared to the airline, in a proper carrying case and unloaded), they are prohibited in carry-on bags.
TSA would like to remind passengers that it is important for them to thoroughly search their bags for any potential dangerous weapons or prohibited items before departing for the airport. Safety is the first concern of the TSA, and having these items in bags that are traveling with you on the aircraft is dangerous to other travelers and can be easily mistaken as an intentional attempt to bring a prohibited item onto an aircraft.
“Passengers are responsible for the contents of bags they bring to the checkpoint,” said Howell. “Our advice is to look through bags thoroughly before coming to the airport to make sure there are no illegal or prohibited items.”
TSA Firearm Discoveries (Nationwide)
- 2013 (January-June): 862
- 2014 (January-June): 1,025
SDF 2014 Firearm Discoveries (through June)
- 1-25-2014 Charter Arms Revolver loaded with five rounds.
- 1-28-2014 Smith and Wesson Bodyguard loaded with seven rounds.
- 4-7-2014 Smith and Wesson Bodyguard loaded with six rounds.
- 4-18-2014 Smith and Wesson 457 loaded with a full magazine and one round chambered.
- 4-20-2014 Ruger Single Six .22LR unloaded.
- 5-23-2014 Sig Sauer Equinox .380 loaded with six rounds.
- 5-24-2014 Ruger LCP.380 loaded with six rounds.
- 5-25-2014 Taurus .357 Magnum Revolver loaded with five rounds.
- 6-13-2014 Smith and Wesson .380 loaded with five rounds and one round chambered.
- 7-18-2014 Keltec P-11 loaded with ten rounds.
Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All rights reserved.