KSP: Hodgenville woman dies from fire that ignited cigarette lighter
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - A Hodgenville woman is dead after her body catches on fire.
This happened Saturday evening at the Landmark Apartments in Hodgenville.
It still has many neighbors upset.
"Just seeing it, I've never seen anything like that and it's probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen and I hope I never see anything like that again," said a neighbor who didn't want to be identified.
The neighbor remembers hearing Fields' daughter screaming, and seeing smoke coming out of the apartment.
"I heard her screaming that her mom was on fire, so that's when I went down. At that point everyone was rushing and trying to get out of the apartment, but it was already too late," said the neighbor.
Hodgenville Police Chief Steve Johnson says Fields was bedridden and was in a wheelchair when she caught on fire.
Moments before, her daughter told authorities that she was having trouble with a small lighter.
Chief Johnson said, "She heard someone beating on the table and turned around and looked and her mom was banging the lighter against the side of the table and she said 'what are you doing,' and she said 'it won't light.' She turned around and stepped out and heard 'swoosh.' "
Kentucky State Police is the agency now investigating the fire. A spokesman says the fire appears to be an accident, and that they don't believe it was the lighter that sparked it. They say it appears Fields was smoking, and that ashes caused her clothing to catch fire. They said it then sent the lighter up in flames.
The LaRue County Deputy Coroner says an autopsy shows Fields died from carbon monoxide poisoning, a result of smoke inhalation.
Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All rights reserved.