Two homeless after massive fire at thoroughbred training center in Lexington
No horses were injured in the fire.
Thursday, February 5th 2015, 11:29 AM EST
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WDRB/AP) -- It took firefighters hours to extinguish a massive fire at a thoroughbred training center Wednesday morning.
Lexington Fire Maj. Lee Hayden says employees were in the building, but everyone made it out. One worker was slightly injured but declined to go to the hospital. One firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire was reported at 8:17 a.m. Wednesday. Heavy smoke could be seen on video pouring from a building.
Built in 1969, the facility was purchased by Keeneland in 2000. Keeneland expanded, adding more barns that allowed the site to house up to 1,180 horses. It also has two training tracks.
The fire took hours to get under control. Offices and apartments were damaged, and two people are now without a home.
Officials believe a burning candle started the fire. No horses were injured.
Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.