LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A multi-vehicle crash involving a semi truck, a JCPS bus full of children and a Shively police car sent 22 people to the hospital early today.

According to JCPS spokesperson Mandy Simpson, it happened around 8:20 a.m. at Cane Run Road and Clarinet Drive. JCPS Bus #0842 was heading to the bus depot on Lees Lane with students from 11 elementary schools on board when it was rear-ended by a semi truck. The bus then hit the back of a Shively police cruiser.

"We were sitting on the bus and we stopped because there was red light," said Jalen Nelson, a second grader. "And the guy on the back -- he was in a truck -- and he was speeding and crashed into us."

"I went forward and I fell," he added.

Twenty-one students, along with the school bus driver, were loaded on to an EMS shuttle and taken to hospitals. The uninjured students were taken on to the bus depot. 

Sixteen students were taken to Kosair Children's Hospital in downtown Louisville, and another five children plus the bus driver were taken to Sts. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital along with the bus driver

Many of the students arrived on a giant emergency bus. One needed oxygen. Most looked fine and walked into the ER on their own, except for one limping little girl who was picked up and carried by an officer.

"Was everybody calm on the bus, or were some of the kids scared?" WDRB's Gilbert Corsey asked Nelson.

"Scared, and some of them were calm," Nelson replied.

Parents and other family members were waiting at the hospitals as the children arrived. 

Debra Gray says her niece was on the bus. 

"I was scared that somebody was really, really hurt bad," Gray said. "I was really scared, but thank God everybody was alright."

Let. Col. Lee Dennison with Louisville Metro EMS says all of the injuries were minor. 

"Everybody is going to be OK -- minor injuries -- nothing real serious, and that's a good day."

But that's not good enough for Nelson's mother, who demanded to know why she wasn't notified until three hours after the crash. Simpson admits there was a delay calling parents, but says it was only 90 minutes.She said, "notifications went out as soon as possible." The added complication came with the bus driver being hurt and the kids heading to a dozen different schools. Simpson said, "It took time to figure out who went where and track down their parent...the first priority was to let police and EMS do their work."

JCPS says everyone was released from the hospital by mid-afternoon. Nelson only suffered a bruise on his leg. .

The semi truck driver and the person behind the wheel in the police car both were not seriously hurt.

No charges are expected from the crash.

Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.