Firefighters urge caution in cold weather - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Firefighters urge caution in cold weather

Posted: Updated:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - If you take out a space heater to keep warm over the next few days, firefighters want you to be warned of their dangers .

“About 50,000 fires a year annually result from home heating fires,” says South Oldham Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Parker. “About half of those are space heater fires.”

Parker says that sometimes space heaters in general are the problem, but more often its older space heaters that cause the issue.

“We always expect more fires this time of year regardless of what they're from,” Parker said.

Fire departments also expect more calls over the next few days for downed trees and downed power lines. But the main concern for firefighters centers around what can happen inside the house and not outside.

“Extension cords, don't use them.” Parker said. “They're very dangerous for space heaters.”

Parker says any space heater should be UL rated and approved and if it were to tip over, that turn off automatically. He says fuel-powered space heaters are more dangerous than those that are plugged in, but all should be cautious. That's why firefighters hope all families have a plan in place in case the worst happens.

‘Have meeting place when you get outside,” Parker said. “It is very common for people to go back to a house to get someone out and they're already out.”

Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.